Registering A Vehicle In Hungary: The Process & What To Know
While the nation falls within the bloc of the European Union, coming from another EU nation doesn’t necessarily mean you should not register your car with the state. While most other nations give you leeway if your car is registered and insured in another EU member state, there is a little less gray area in Hungary.
The official EU portal suggests that you can use a vehicle with a foreign license plate for a maximum of 30 days. After that, you need to register it with Hungarian authorities.
Those with second homes and residencies in Hungary do not need to register the car with authorities so long as the vehicle is typically spends less than six months in the country.
Vehicles from outside of the country need to be inspected for safety and road worthiness. Cars older than four years need to be inspected every two years after the initial inspection.
Appointments are not required and there is a list of inspection centers. The test typically takes 30 minutes.
When inspectors check the vehicle, they’ll look for the following:
- A windshield clear from cracks and abrasions
- Windows that are not tinted
- A car body free of damage and rust
- Tires with tread of at least 1.6 mm
- Working brakes and shocks
- A working exhaust with little damage
- Working seat belts
- Dashboard lights that work properly
Failing the test does not necessarily preclude you from driving the vehicle. So long as you make the necessary repairs, the vehicle can be inspected again.
If you need to know more about shipping a car to Hungary, our international page for the country has a wealth of information, including costs, required documents and popular shipping destinations.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
As with most EU nations, there is a tax that’s levied on the vehicle. In Hungary, there is a registration tax and vehicle tax for the vehicles. In addition, there are fees for issuing a registration certificate and an ownership certificate.
Rules For Students
Students are an exception as they usually have intermittent and temporary stays. So long as the vehicle is registered and insured from another EU member nation, students won’t have to register the vehicle. However proof of residence abroad may be needed.
The plus to this is students are also able to use the same Hungarian roads without paying the tolls.
Driving In Hungary
Before you get on the road, you need to have a driver’s license, proof of insurance, proof of ownership and an international driver permit, if applicable.
The nation also requires drivers to carry a certain set of items in case of road emergencies. The list includes:
- Reflectors to bounce the light from headlights back
- A warning triangle
- A reflective jacket
- A first-aid kit
In addition, drivers are required to have their headlights on at all times.
Resources For Registering A Vehicle In Hungary
Registration & Documents – Information about the registration process, the documents you’ll need and important contact information for relevant offices and departments
Government Offices – An interactive map with location and information about government offices in Hungary.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory