How To Ship A Motorcycle
Are you planning to buy or sell a motorbike on eBay? Do you want to take part in a motorcycle rally in another state with your own bike? These are just some of the reasons why you may need to ship a motorbike. Gone are the days when you could strap your bike on a friend’s truck and hope for the best. Whether you want to ship your bike across the state or internationally, the most important thing is to find a reliable transporter.
How to find a motorcycle transport company
There are countless companies that claim to transport vehicles and motorcycles. However, the last thing you want is to pick any company online and trust them with one of the most valuable things you own. There are a few ways to find a good transport company including eBay, uShip and other online sites. Peruse through the list you find on these sites and check their quotes, customer reviews and services.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
What to look for in a motorcycle shipping company
Most people make the mistake of only looking at the cost of shipping only in order to make the decision. This should be the last thing you look for because motorbikes don’t come cheap. Here are some of the things you should look for in a motor bike shipping company;
- Type of shipping. Do they offer enclosed or open shipping? If the bike is going for a very long distant, an open truck is a bad idea because the bike will be exposed to elements, dirt and stones.
- Does the company specialize in motorbikes only or do they ship animals, furniture and all sorts of things with your bike? If you care about your bike, you wouldn’t want it to be shipped together with some huge couches or cows that can damage it.
- How is the bike packaged? Is it crated or just secured on the flatbed? Do you need to take apart the bike before transport and drain fluids? Choose a company that will deliver your bike as is. The shipper should have the proper crates for packaging without removing batteries and accessories.
- The shipper must be insured and bonded so they can cover you in case of any damage.
- Will the carrier pick and deliver your bike to the destination, or do you have to drop and pick it up from one of their depots?
How to prepare a motorbike for shipping
While you don’t need to take apart the bike before shipping, there are some things you should do to make the transport smooth. Clean the bike, remove any loose items and disable the alarm. You can also empty the fuel to about a quarter and take pictures of the bike in case there is a dispute later.
At the end of the day, the only thing you want from a carrier when shipping your motorcycle is safety, peace of mind and timely delivery. Choose a company that will give you that and more at an affordable price.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.