Domestic USA & International Auto Shipping
- Quote Calculator
Documents Needed To Transport A Car Across State Lines
People transport cars across stateliness for different reasons. Some are transporting for the purposes of sale and repair while most people seek car shipping services to relocate to a new state. When preparing to ship a car, finding a good auto transport company is a huge concern. However, do not forget that there are documents needed to transport a car across state lines. Read on to find out the documents you need.
Documents needed by the shipping company
Shipping companies require the following documents before shipping your vehicle out of state;
- Vehicle registration – before they can take your car, the shipping company needs to prove that the car is yours and that you have the right to ship it. The vehicle registration and title are the documents needed to prove ownership. Without these documents, a professional shipping company with a reputation to protect will not ship the vehicle.
- Photo identification – to fully ascertain that you own the vehicle, the shipping company will request to see a photo identification. A photo ID can be your unexpired passport or driver’s license.
- Certificate of insurance – the company also needs proof that the automobile is insured. Present a copy of the insurance certificate.
- Bill of lading – this is not a document they need, rather it is a document they prepare, but it requires your presence when preparing it. Before loading the car for shipping, the company inspects the state of your car. They note the findings of the inspection in the bill of lading. You should be present to sign this document so that you ascertain it is accurate. You should also make sure the truck driver or any other authorized company representative signs it too. This document serves as evidence in case you need to claim compensation should the shipper damage your car.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Documents needed to transport a car across state lines and keep it there
Are you shipping a car to relocate to a new state? You need to transfer the car title to the new state when you move. Failure to do this in time could attract penalties. The Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) is responsible for transferring car titles. There are three different situations affecting the procedure of transferring car titles;
Transferring car title with lease agreements or liens
If your car title has a lien, you transfer the title by filing a title release form and sending it to the lien holder. The lien holder will then send the car title to a local DMV office near your new residence. The DMV office will assist you to complete the final steps of the transfer.
In the case of lease agreements, you are supposed to obtain the power of attorney from the leasing agent for the title transfer to be completed by the DMV.
Transferring car titles from states that issue titles
If you are moving the car from a state that issues titles, you will need to transfer the car title to your current state of residence. The procedure of transferring a title out of state resembles that of in-state change of residence. There are several additional steps to the procedure, but they vary from state to state. Generally, the process of car title transfer involves;
- Testing emissions standards of the car (some states do not require this test)
- Filling the title transfer request form
- Submitting the existing vehicle registration and title
- Submitting insurance certificate
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) verification
- Paying the applicable title transfer fees
Note that there are states that have tax exemptions for new residents. Visit the DMV website to learn more about the car title transfer and the potential cost involved.
Transferring the vehicle to states that do not issue titles
Obviously, if you are moving from a state that does not issue car titles to one that does, you do not have a title to transfer. In this case, you apply for a new car title in the DMV office in your new residence. The DMV office will need proof of vehicle ownership and the vehicle sale invoice or bill. The bill should have the contact info and signatures of both you and the seller. It should also have relevant vehicle information including the price, year of manufacture, date of sale, and VIN number.
Indeed, there are documents needed to transport a car across state line, and to retain it there. To avoid any inconveniences or unavoidable penalties prepare all the necessary documents and funds in advance. If you are just transporting the vehicle for other purposes other than a change of residence, you only need to prepare the documents needed by the shipper. For a change of residence, you need to consider the DMV requirements outlined above.
For more information on the documents needed to ship your vehicle with A-1 Auto Transport, call us. Our friendly customer care team will be eager to help.