Gift Icon
Get a 20% discount from our partners! Discount code will get added automatically when you submit the form.
Auto Transport Truck on Highway
4.7 Star Rating4.7 (67,926 reviews)
96.3% positive
No Surprises, Just Savings: Verified Carriers, Instant Quotes, and Best Price Guarantee!
You save 20% compared to other companies
Get quotes from trusted carriers, thoroughly vetted and fully insured. Enjoy trackable deliveries, fair pricing, and hassle-free transport from start to finish. Transport any type of vehicle and drive away worry-free.
Customer Images
7790 people shipped using A-1 Auto Transport last week
Scratch-Free Guarantee
Vetted Carriers
Transparent Costs
Customer Ratings By Feature
Value for Money ★★★★★ 4.9
Vehicle Care ★★★★★ 4.9
Fast Delivery ★★★★★ 4.9
Friendly Staff ★★★★★ 4.9
Dave loved the fast deliveryDave C.
Dave loved the fast delivery
My relocation to Chicago was fast, smooth and without any delay thanks to A1 Auto.
Courtney enjoyed the honest guidanceCourtney J.
Courtney enjoyed the honest guidance
Just what you need when trusting someone with your wheels! Kudos to this company!
Jeff enjoyed the fair priceJeff D.
Jeff enjoyed the fair price
Moved my ride hassle-free with these folks.Fair pricing, no surprises. Definitely recommend them!
Maria enjoyed the special care and safetyMaria L.
Maria enjoyed the special care and safety
Huge thanks to the movers – they were meticulous with my car. Love these guys.
Recently featured on USA Today

“A1 Auto Transport became synonymous with top-notch service delivery, unfailing punctuality and constantly preoccupied with customer satisfaction.

See Article— USA Today

Documents Needed To Transport A Car Across State Lines

Published by Joe Webster.

What's in this article?
  1. Documents needed by the shipping company
  2. Documents needed to transport a car across state lines and keep it there
  3. Transferring car title with lease agreements or liens
  4. Transferring car titles from states that issue titles
  5. Transferring the vehicle to states that do not issue titles
  6. Related Information & FAQ
Transport a car across state lines

People transport cars across stateliness for different reasons. Some are transporting for the purposes of sale and repair while most people seek car shipping services to relocate to a new state. When preparing to ship a car, finding a good auto transport company is a huge concern. However, do not forget that there are documents needed to transport a car across state lines. Read on to find out the documents you need.

Documents needed by the shipping company

Shipping companies require the following documents before shipping your vehicle out of state;

  • Vehicle registration – before they can take your car, the shipping company needs to prove that the car is yours and that you have the right to ship it. The vehicle registration and title are the documents needed to prove ownership. Without these documents, a professional shipping company with a reputation to protect will not ship the vehicle.
  • Photo identification – to fully ascertain that you own the vehicle, the shipping company will request to see a photo identification. A photo ID can be your unexpired passport or driver’s license.
  • Certificate of insurance – the company also needs proof that the automobile is insured. Present a copy of the insurance certificate.
  • Bill of lading – this is not a document they need, rather it is a document they prepare, but it requires your presence when preparing it. Before loading the car for shipping, the company inspects the state of your car. They note the findings of the inspection in the bill of lading. You should be present to sign this document so that you ascertain it is accurate. You should also make sure the truck driver or any other authorized company representative signs it too. This document serves as evidence in case you need to claim compensation should the shipper damage your car.
A-1 Auto Transport Ships Worldwide.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.
Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Shipping a car to relocate to a new state

Documents needed to transport a car across state lines and keep it there

Are you shipping a car to relocate to a new state? You need to transfer the car title to the new state when you move. Failure to do this in time could attract penalties. The Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) is responsible for transferring car titles. There are three different situations affecting the procedure of transferring car titles;

Transferring car title with lease agreements or liens

If your car title has a lien, you transfer the title by filing a title release form and sending it to the lien holder. The lien holder will then send the car title to a local DMV office near your new residence. The DMV office will assist you to complete the final steps of the transfer.

In the case of lease agreements, you are supposed to obtain the power of attorney from the leasing agent for the title transfer to be completed by the DMV.

Transferring car titles from states that issue titles

If you are moving the car from a state that issues titles, you will need to transfer the car title to your current state of residence. The procedure of transferring a title out of state resembles that of in-state change of residence. There are several additional steps to the procedure, but they vary from state to state. Generally, the process of car title transfer involves;

  • Testing emissions standards of the car (some states do not require this test)
  • Filling the title transfer request form
  • Submitting the existing vehicle registration and title
  • Submitting insurance certificate
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) verification
  • Paying the applicable title transfer fees

Note that there are states that have tax exemptions for new residents. Visit the DMV website to learn more about the car title transfer and the potential cost involved.

Transferring The Vehicle To States

Transferring the vehicle to states that do not issue titles

Obviously, if you are moving from a state that does not issue car titles to one that does, you do not have a title to transfer. In this case, you apply for a new car title in the DMV office in your new residence. The DMV office will need proof of vehicle ownership and the vehicle sale invoice or bill. The bill should have the contact info and signatures of both you and the seller. It should also have relevant vehicle information including the price, year of manufacture, date of sale, and VIN number.

Indeed, there are documents needed to transport a car across state line, and to retain it there. To avoid any inconveniences or unavoidable penalties prepare all the necessary documents and funds in advance. If you are just transporting the vehicle for other purposes other than a change of residence, you only need to prepare the documents needed by the shipper. For a change of residence, you need to consider the DMV requirements outlined above.

For more information on the documents needed to ship your vehicle with A-1 Auto Transport, call us. Our friendly customer care team will be eager to help.

Share this content on social media for a chance to get up to 20% off your next shipment.
Copy link

Joe Webster always knew the auto transport industry would be a great career option. And with decades of experience, Joe is now an established consultant for A1 Auto Transport.

Joe was born in Santa Cruz, California. During high school, Joe worked as a mechanic; a job continued to work part-time during his bachelor's degree.

Email Me

Mylene Rutllant
It’s my number one pick in auto shipping to this day.
★★★★★ choice in terms of auto transport has to be A1 Auto Transport. It’s in the name, but also in the quality with which they do their jobs. I’ve never had a problem with this company.

Luis Rodriguez
You have my full support and recommendation!

A1 Auto Transport... From the get go, they were very different from my past options. Their website was very professional and up to date, full of useful information. I requested a quote using their online form, and I got an email response within an hour. Surprisingly fast!

Testimonial by Cristine Benoit
Cristine Benoit
I can safely say this is a legit company that will get the job done.

There are a lot of options for auto transport these days, which surprisingly makes it harder to find a good company. I received more than 10 offers to ship my car, but I couldn’t decide on any of them... Fortunately, I made the right choice with A1 Auto Transport.

David Osallo
We give A1 Auto Transport a big 10 out of 10!

We give A1 Auto Transport a big 10 out of 10! We chose them to move our car from California to Vermont, since we needed professionals.

Visit our social, and see what our clients are saying about us:

Ship Your Vehicle With A-1 Auto Today
Get an instant free Quote Now

Or Call Us Today and Speak Directly to Our Sales Team:

Call Us 1-888-230-9116

Our Partners:

Better Business Bureau Accredited
FMCSA Member
INC. 500 Member
VeriSign Secured
AMSA Member

A-1 Auto Transport is a disclosed agent for the following shipping companies:

CSI Logistics
435 Division Street
Elizabeth, NJ 07201
FMC 22206
Intl Cargo
45 Campus Drive
Edison, NJ 08837
NO. 17858N
Trans Global Auto Logistics, Inc.
3401 E Randol Mill Rd,
Arlington, TX 76011
NO. 018191NF
CFR Rinkens
15501 Texaco Avenue
Paramount, CA 90723
NO. 013055NF
ABC Worldwide LLC
2840 NW 2nd Ave #105
Boca Raton, FL 33431
NO. 025472F
ShipYourCarNow LLC
1160 South Rogers Circle Suite 1
Boca Raton, FL 33487
NO. 025646
Merco Air & Ocean Cargo, Inc.
6 Fir Way
Cooper City, FL 33026
NO. 021869F
Copyright © 1988-2024, A-1 Auto Transport - All Rights Reserved.