Any sort of move, no matter how far away, is fraught with stress and oversights. It might be hard to anticipate all of the possible problems that may occur during the moving process, but there are certainly a few common mistakes that happen often enough to warrant an easy prevention and solution process. Read on to understand what problems and challenges you might encounter during this transitional time.
- Your car does not meet certain travel-specific requirements. This mainly applies to the height of the vehicle. Depending on the transportation company you choose, certain companies have specific cut-off points regarding how high or how low a vehicle can be. Also, vehicles with exterior spare tires, camper shells, or any other exterior attachments will often have certain restrictions and must be cleared for safe transportation.
- Incorrect address. You will be filling out a lot of paperwork throughout the moving process. Unfortunately, this means that because there is plenty of papers to sign and fill out, the chance of accidentally misspelling your new address might increase. Furthermore, there are more than a few cities that share the exact same name. If you’re moving to Jacksonville, be sure to have your vehicle shipped to the city in Florida instead of the one in Alabama (or vice versa)!
- Late or delayed delivery. This is probably the most common problem that is reported by auto transport service customers. There is a multitude of reasons why your vehicle may arrive late to its destination. There are factors that are simply out of human control, such as extreme weather conditions, mechanical trouble, accidents, and flat tires. However, it is also important to note that since auto transport companies often pick up multiple vehicles to transport at the same time, if even just one of those customers runs late on turning in paperwork or giving proper payment to the company, the entire shipment is negatively affected. It is best to be prepared and just always assume that your car will be running a day or two late, of not longer. This way, you can plan your trip accordingly.
- Damage to your vehicle incurred during the transportation process. Once again, everything from extreme weather to a large chunk of road debris can cause damage to your car and delay the moving process. This is why it is crucial to document your car’s condition before the move.
- Scams, frauds, and bait-and-switch estimates. Be sure to check any relevant online reviews about the companies you are considering. Also, make sure that the company has a USDOT number that has been inspected and approved by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
The problems listed in this guide serve as a great reminder regarding the importance of conducting thorough research when deciding on an auto transport company. As long as you understand the importance of being prepared and do your best to handle all the responsibilities you know you are capable of seeing through, then your moving process should go smoothly.