- Ocean Or Air Freight Shipping To Or From Austria
- Fcl Container Shipping (Full Container Load) To Austria
- Lcl Container Shipping (Less Than Container Load) To Austria
- Ocean Freight Transport To Austria
- Air Freight Transport
- How Much Does It Cost To Ship To Austria?
- Ports In Austria
- Customs Clearance In Austria
- Get A Free Price Rate Quote For Shipping To Austria
Ocean Or Air Freight Shipping To Or From Austria
Moving to Austria and need to ship your car or your household goods? Need to import items for a business, or for any other reason? A-1 Auto Transport can help. We specialize in ocean or air freight container shipping to Austria.
With our years of experience and network of customs brokers and logistics professionals, we can make sure your goods reach their destination – on your schedule, and on budget!
Ready to get started and ship your items to Austria? Learn more about our ocean and air freight container shipping services below, or contact us now for a free quote for your project.
FCL Container Shipping (Full Container Load) To Austria
This is the best option for you if you are shipping a large volume of household goods, a vehicle, or bulk items for business purposes. In FCL (Full Container Load) shipping, you pay to have an entire 20-foot or 40-foot cargo container shipped on an ocean-going vessel.
Usually, your items will be palletized and loaded onto a truck or railcar. Then, they will be sent to your preferred port, loaded onto a cargo ship, and sent to your destination port near Austria. Once your container arrives at the port and clears customs, it will be taken to your destination in Austria by truck or rail.
LCL Container Shipping (Less than Container Load) To Austria
If you have a smaller shipment to make to Austria, LCL (Less than Container Load) shipping is a good option. In this method of freight shipping, you can share a cargo container with other customers going to your destination, and you’ll only pay for the space you use.
For example, if your shipment only takes up 30% of the capacity of the shipping container, you won’t have to pay for the whole thing – other people or businesses can ship items with the remaining 70% of its capacity. Because of this, LCL shipping is much cheaper for small shipments compared to FCL shipping.
Ocean Freight Transport To Austria
Ocean freight transport to Austria is typically the best way to move items that are bulky, heavy, and nonperishable or have a long shelf life. Because Austria does not have any ocean ports – it’s a landlocked state – it can take a little bit longer for your goods to arrive, compared to countries that have their own ports.
In most cases, ocean freight takes somewhere between 20-45 days to arrive at its destination. This depends on the port of origination, the destination port, how many stops the cargo ship has to make, the speed of cargo processing at each port, and a number of other factors.
Air Freight Transport
If you need to ship items directly to Austria quickly, air freight is the best option. Since Austria lacks seaports, air freight is a much faster method of shipping your items. Most items can be sent to Austria within 3-5 days using air freight, though some express shipping providers can send items in just 1-3 days for an additional fee.
The largest air freight transport hub is in Vienna, though most airports in Austria can handle commercial freight traffic. Air freight transport is usually at least 4x more expensive compared to ocean freight transport.
How Much Does It Cost To Ship To Austria?
Wondering how much you can expect to pay when shipping items in Austria? Here are a few of the factors that will affect your overall freight transportation cost.
- Last-mile shipping – All shipments to Austria by ocean will enter from a different country, so you will need to work out details for last-mile shipping via truck, rail, or both. This may be required for air freight shipments, too, depending on the destination for your goods.
- LCL vs. FCL container shipping – Shipping goods via LCL (less than container load) is cheaper if you do not have that much stuff to ship. However, if you do have enough freight to fill up an entire cargo container, FCL container shipping will be cheaper than splitting your freight into multiple LCL loads.
- Weight or volume of items – The cost of shipping goods via LCL or FCL shipping on ocean-going vessels is determined by volume. The more space your stuff takes up, the more you’ll pay.
For air freight, though, weight is the determining factor when it comes to shipping costs. Lightweight, bulky items will be cheaper to transport by air compared to small, more dense items. For extremely heavy items, air freight can be cost-prohibitive, and ocean freight is usually a better choice.
- Air vs. ocean freight – As a rule, ocean freight is always much less expensive than air transport. If you’re concerned about your budget, you should use ocean freight for as many items as you can. However, freight that is time-sensitive or perishable may be worth transporting via air, due to its speed and reliability.
These factors – and a number of others – can all have an impact on the overall cost of shipping your goods to Austria. If you’d like to learn more and get a free estimate, just contact A-1 Auto Transport now. We can give you a quote and discuss your project in further detail.
Ports In Austria
Austria, being a landlocked country, does not have any major ports for oceangoing freight, although it does have a few river ports including the Port of Vienna. It also has quite a few major freight airports, such as the Vienna Airport.
There is no way to ship ocean-going cargo directly into the country. Instead, you will have the option to send your cargo to Austria through a few different countries. A few options include:
- Port of Hamburg, Germany – Port of Hamburg is one of the most popular ports for shipments intended for Austria. More than 260,000 TEU (Twenty-foot Equivalent Units) of the 750,000 sent to Austria each year arrive through Port of Hamburg. A strong rail and road network make last-mile shipping to Austria quick and easy.
- Port of Koper, Slovenia – This Slovenian port serves a lot of Austrian cargo. It processes a total of 600,000 TEU per year, with an annual cargo tonnage of 18 million. Transport to Austria can be achieved by rail or truck.
- Port of Trieste, Italy – Historically, Port of Trieste has been a hub of Austrian ocean-going freight traffic. Located on the Adriatic Sea, it moves around 725,00 TEU and 62.7 million tonnes of cargo per year. It has a large network of railroad tracks and roads, allowing for easy transit through Europe and into Austria.
Depending on your desired location in Austria, any of these ports may be a good option. To learn more and choose the right option for you, contact A-1 Auto Transport.
Customs Clearance In Austria
As with any other country, it’s usually a good idea to work with a qualified customs broker in Austria to ensure that your items are cleared quickly during the customs process. While you can opt to work with the Austrian customs service yourself, customs brokers are experts in this process and will offer superior results.
For those transporting personal effects and personal vehicles, it’s possible to import your items duty-free if they are for personal use. In addition, most goods can be shipped to Austria from other EU countries without import fees and tariffs.
However, commercial imports from any non-EU country will be subject to taxes, fees, and tariffs when entering Austria, based on the EU TARIC model.
Note also that Austria has a few restrictions on certain types of items being imported – including weapons, certain plants, prescription, and non-prescription medications, animals, and certain food products.
You can learn more about importing items for personal use and commercial use from the Austrian Embassy here. Working with an experienced EU transport broker will ensure that your items make it through the customs process quickly and easily.
Get a Free Price Rate Quote For Shipping To Austria
Want to ship your personal items or items for a business to Austria? Wondering how to get started? A-1 Auto Transport is here to help. Whether you’re shipping goods for your own use or for business purposes, we can provide you with a free, no-commitment quote for your next shipment to Austria.
We’re experts in both ocean and air shipping, so we can help you choose the option that’s right for your needs, and we can also help you find reputable professionals like customs brokers who can help you process your goods once they arrive in Austria. So don’t wait – contact us online now or give us a call at 1-888-509-3213 to get a quote.