Snowbirds, or seasonal vacationers, tend to go on longer trips, both in terms of distance and the length of the stay, which makes hiring a car shipping company a good choice. Not only is it a great way to minimize the mileage during longer trips, but it can also help to mitigate the risks and maintenance costs involved with long distance driving. Here are the main services you’ll have to choose from:
- Enclosed Carrier - An enclosed carrier is just what it sounds like: a completely enclosed transport vehicle. When you opt for an enclosed carrier, the price can be higher in some cases, mainly because fewer vehicles can be moved at once on an enclosed transport truck. The benefit is that you can ship a car, truck, motorcycle or RV with completely security, every step of the way. If you’re concerned about the weather, road hazards or privacy during transport, an enclosed carrier may be the way to go.
- Open Carrier - An open transport truck is a more affordable option, and for the same reason that enclosed carriers cost more. More cars can be moved at once on an open carrier, reducing the cost of shipping for each individual vehicle. The disadvantage of an open carrier is that the vehicle is exposed to the elements during transport, which does not make it ideal for snowbird auto shipping since it often requires long distance transport and traveling through states affected by cold weather, ice, and snow storms.
- Door-to-door - Door-to-door auto transport can be done with either an open or enclosed carrier, but is easier to accommodate with the smaller sized enclosed carriers. Door-to-door car shipping is also available for seasonal travelers going overseas or to another country, either to or from the U.S.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Why Snowbirds & Travelers Hire Auto Shippers
There are a variety of reasons that someone may hire a car shipper for their travel needs, but there a few that we see more often than others. This list includes concerns over maintenance issues during travel or the high mileage that comes with driving a vehicle yourself across the country. Weather is also a concern, especially for snowbirds, since they are generally shipping from a colder climate to a warmer climate.
For seasonal travelers that like to vacation in an RV, shipping is a great option that can be easily overlooked. After all, having an RV means that you can travel in comfort and without having to pay for lodging. The catch is that RVs don’t get good gas mileage and can be costly to repair, potentially turning a basic vacation into an expensive endeavor. Snowbird auto shipping isn’t just for RVs and cars either; many owners use Snowbird transport services for the following types of vehicles:
- Motorcycles & Trikes.
- RVs and campers.
- Yachts & other types of boats.
- ATVs & Quads.
- Trucks and travel trailers.
Snowbird Car Shipping Resources.
Top 10 Snowbird Destinations - From RVparks.com, a list of RV tips and trips that include a listing of the top 10 travel destinations for seasonal travelers and snowbirds.
Fodor’s Travel - A great website for vacationers, Fodor’s is the world’s biggest publisher of travel and tourism information in the United States. They have a section for popular destinations, guide books and deals on airfare, hotels and more.