- New York Long Distance Moving Companies
- Why Hire A Moving Company?
- How To Hire The Best Moving Companies In New York
- Practical Moving Tips From Movers Nyc
- International And Overseas Moving To Or From New York
- Why Hire A-1 Auto Transport Of All Nyc Movers?
- Out-Of-State Nyc Movers Near Me
- Our Moving Services
- Get In Touch Today
New York Long Distance Moving Companies
Moving for employment, better housing or for marriage? To make your move stress-free, it is advisable to deal with a NYC moving company. In the state of New York lies the most populated city in the country, New York City. It has over 8 million inhabitants and is divided into 5 boroughs. New York has the best attractions in the country such as the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and hundreds of other magnificent sites and structures. The multi-cultural city also ensures a supply of different experiences such as languages and cuisines. If you have a move planned, talk to A-1 Auto Transport. We have the most advanced moving and vehicle relocation services in New York.
Why hire a moving company?
- The right equipment. NYC movers size up your belongings and arrive with the required moving tools. Heavy items such as L-couches or king size beds are dismantled and moved in bits. Stacked boxes are loaded using trolleys and ramps while all items are transported in trucks which can safely handle heavy loads.
- Affordability. Choose a moving company that can save you money in the long run. They know how to estimate the entire cost of moving accurately. They account for moving charges, hidden costs and unforeseen circumstances. This ensures there are no inefficiencies such as shortages leading to additional expenses. Moving companies perform their activities safely which ensures there are no accidents which lead to losses. They also have insurance in case accidents occur.
- Proper inventory. Moving companies use inventories to make packing and unpacking organized. They list all items they handle and label all the packed boxes. This saves you time you could have used locating certain items amongst your belongings.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-241-3110 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
How to hire the best moving companies in New York
Experience.Moving companies with adequate experience have an edge over their counterparts in the moving industry. They know the different techniques to handle moves and they have encountered almost all challenges when moving. They also know how to handle customers to avoid any complaints.
Check the American Movers and Storage Association to validate a moving company’s experience. The association lists the years a company has been operational and the services they provide. To fully verify the number of moves the company has handled, visit their offices and check their records
Permits. Ask the company for their DOT number and enter it at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association to view their compliance with the country’s department of transport requirements. A reliable NYC moving company should have:
- A valid household goods moving license updated every two years.
- A safety rating higher than the national average.
- Little or no pending violations.
- A permanent physical address.
In case you are using local movers, check with the New York Department of Transport to verify their authorizations.
Customer reviews. A moving company with good services will be recommended by most customers. This means the customers have trust in the company’s services and they can refer it to anyone. Companies which have mediocre services have multiple consumer complaints and do not concern themselves with the opinion of their customers. Use the Better Business Bureau to view verified opinions by New Yorkers.
Practical Moving Tips from MoversNYC
- Choose a reliable moving company in NYC to assist with your move. Ensure you verify all their licenses, insurance and experience. Do not assume that reputable companies are fully compliant with all laws.
- To reduce your moving expenses, move during the off-season. Winter and autumn are the seasons with the least number of people moving. This results to reduced moving charges.
- Visit the area you are moving into a few weeks before moving day. Check the schools, malls and parks and make friends with the locals. Scoping the new area enables you to adjust quickly after moving in.
- Create an inventory of your items as you pack and after loading them. It is important so that you can use the list on delivery day.
- Take clear photographs which can act as evidence in the event of accidents.
International And Overseas Moving To Or From New York
While it's not uncommon for people to move without assistance from professionals, it will be much easier to transport your things abroad with our help. Considering all the time you'd have to invest otherwise as well as the stress and effort involved, the use of NYC movers are becoming an increasingly popular option.
Our services are especially valuable to people who cannot lift heavy items or who do not have others to help out. For example, seniors can benefit from our them and they’ll receive a discount too.
If you're worried about container shipping and how to get your property across oceans, this matter can be very simple if you leave it to us. A1 auto transport can send a container to your home and pick it up after you're done filling it. Alternatively, we can pack and load your things too. It's all up to your choices as the client.
Why hire A-1 Auto Transport of All NYCMovers?
A-1 Auto Transport is among the largest worldwide shipping companies. We have adequate experience, professional skills and moving resources. This ensures we provide services of the highest quality. We've served several New Yorkers and indeed several other customers nationwide.
Out-of-State NYC Movers Near Me
Our moving services
- Packing and unpacking
- Storage services
- Piano moves
- Pool table moves
- Furniture moves
- Full-service moves
- Military moves
- Office moves
- Pet transport
- Residential relocations
- Vacation moves
- College moves
Get in touch today
Call us on 1-888-241-3110 and experience premier moving services in NYC. Fill out the form at the top of our page for discounts you do not want to miss.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much will it cost to hire my New York long distance movers?
Calculating the expense of a long-haul move from NYC is intricate due to the consideration of diverse elements such as the weight of the shipment and the distance traveled, in addition to typical local moving charges. Some movers might set a base price of $1,000 for such relocations, so anticipate your moving expenses to start from this amount and potentially increase.
What size truck do I need for my New York move?
Choosing the right size truck for your New York move largely depends on the volume and type of items you're transporting, as well as the nature of your living space. Here's a general guideline based on typical living situations:
1. Studio Apartment:
- Truck Size: 10-12 feet
- Capacity: Approximately 1-2 rooms' worth of items
2. 1-2 Bedroom Apartment:
- Truck Size: 15-17 feet
- Capacity: Furnishings from a 1-2 bedroom apartment, including some larger appliances.
3. 2-3 Bedroom Home:
- Truck Size: 20-22 feet
- Capacity: Furnishings from a 2-3 bedroom house with appliances.
4. 3-4 Bedroom Home:
- Truck Size: 24-26 feet
- Capacity: Furnishings from a 3-4 bedroom house. This size is often used for larger moves and can handle bulkier items like pianos or big pieces of furniture.
5. 5+ Bedroom Home:
- Truck Size: 26+ feet and possibly consider renting multiple trucks or a trailer.
- Capacity: Suitable for 5 or more bedrooms, accommodating larger quantities of furniture, appliances, and boxes.
What are the factors that determine the total cost of my move to New York?
Moving to (or within) New York can involve various expenses, and several factors will determine the total cost of your move. Here's a breakdown of these factors:
1. Distance of the Move: Whether you're moving locally within New York or relocating from another state, the distance will significantly impact the price. Generally, long-distance moves are more expensive due to increased fuel costs, tolls, and the time commitment from the moving crew.
2. Volume and Weight of Belongings: Movers often charge based on the weight or volume of items being transported. The more stuff you have, the higher the cost.
3. Packing Services: While you can pack yourself to save money, many moving companies offer packing and unpacking services, which add to the cost.
4. Special Items: Transporting items that require special care, such as pianos, antiques, artwork, or delicate electronics, might incur additional charges due to the need for specialized equipment or packing materials.
5. Insurance: Basic liability insurance might be included in your moving quote, but comprehensive coverage will cost extra. Depending on the value of your belongings, you might consider purchasing additional insurance.
6. Storage Services: If there's a gap between your move-out and move-in dates or if you need to store items for any reason, storage fees will add to your costs.
7. Access and Location: New York, especially NYC, has many areas with limited access for large trucks. If the movers have to park far from your residence, there may be a long carry fee. Additionally, if your apartment is not on the ground floor and there's no elevator, expect a stair fee.
8. Parking: In a city like New York, parking can be a challenge. You might need to secure a parking permit for the moving truck or pay for metered parking, adding to the cost.
9. Time of Year: Peak moving times, such as summer months and the end/beginning of the month, tend to be more expensive due to higher demand.
10. Additional Services: Some movers offer added services like furniture assembly/disassembly, temporary use of wardrobe boxes, or shuttle services for locations where a larger truck can't go directly. These services come at an extra cost.
11. Gratuity: While not mandatory, it's customary to tip movers if you're satisfied with their service. This isn't usually included in the moving quote, so factor this into your budget.
12. Unforeseen Expenses: Sometimes, unforeseen challenges can add to the cost, such as the need for extra packing materials, unforeseen delays, or additional labor requirements.
To get a clear idea of the cost for your specific move to New York, it's advisable to obtain detailed quotes from multiple reputable moving companies. Ensure you ask about any potential hidden fees or additional costs to avoid surprises.
Should I choose New York full-service movers or rent a truck and move it myself?
Deciding between hiring full-service movers and renting a truck to move yourself depends on various factors, including your budget, the volume of items you're moving, your physical ability, the complexity of the move, and your comfort level with organizing and executing the move. Here are the pros and cons of both options to help you make an informed decision:
### New York Full-Service Movers:
1. Convenience: Movers handle everything from packing and loading to transporting and unloading.
2. Efficiency: Professional movers have the experience to execute the move quickly and efficiently.
3. Safety: They're trained to handle heavy items, reducing the risk of injury and damage to belongings.
4. Equipment: Full-service movers provide all necessary equipment like moving blankets, dollies, and ramps.
5. Insurance: Movers usually offer valuation coverage options, providing some protection for your items.
1. Cost: Hiring full-service movers can be considerably more expensive than moving yourself.
2. Less Control: You're entrusting your belongings to others and relying on their schedule.
3. Potential for Scams: While many moving companies are reputable, the moving industry isn't immune to scams.
### Rent a Truck and Move Yourself:
1. Cost Savings: Renting a truck can be cheaper than hiring full-service movers, especially for smaller moves.
2. Full Control: You manage the entire process, from packing and loading to transportation.
3. Flexible Timing: You can move at your own pace without adhering to a mover's schedule.
1. Physical Effort: Moving requires lifting heavy items, which can be strenuous and potentially injurious.
2. Coordination Challenges: From renting equipment to finding helpers and managing logistics, a DIY move requires a lot of coordination.
3. Potential Damages: Without professional training or equipment, there's a higher risk of damaging belongings or property.
4. Hidden Costs: Truck rental fees, fuel, tolls, packing materials, and potential unexpected issues can add up.
If you're on a tight budget, have a limited number of belongings, and feel confident in your ability to manage the move (and perhaps have friends to help), renting a truck might be the way to go. On the other hand, if you can allocate a larger budget for convenience, safety, and peace of mind, hiring full-service movers could be worth the investment. Consider your personal circumstances and priorities when making your decision.
How can I ensure the safety of my belongings with New York movers?
Ensuring the safety of your belongings when using movers in New York (or anywhere else) requires a combination of research, preparation, and vigilance. Here are steps and tips to consider:
1. Research the Moving Company:
- Reviews and Recommendations: Look for online reviews or ask friends, family, or coworkers for recommendations. Pay attention to comments about the care and safety of belongings.
- Verify Licensing: Ensure the company is licensed and registered, especially for interstate moves. In the U.S., interstate movers should have a Department of Transportation (DOT) number.
- Check for Complaints: Look into any complaints filed against the company through the Better Business Bureau or other relevant organizations.
2. Get a Written Estimate and Contract:
- Ensure all services, costs, and any additional charges are detailed in a written contract.
- Avoid companies that provide unrealistically low estimates, as this is a common scam tactic.
3. Ask About Insurance and Valuation:
- Basic Coverage: Most movers offer minimal coverage (e.g., $0.60 per pound per item) as part of their service. Understand the limitations of this coverage.
- Additional Insurance: Consider purchasing Full Value Protection or third-party insurance, especially if you have high-value items.
4. Take Inventory:
- Document all your belongings, either with a list or by taking photos/videos. This will be useful for insurance claims if necessary.
- Identify high-value items and inform the movers about them. Some might require special packing or handling.
5. Pack Wisely:
- Use sturdy boxes and quality packing materials.
- Label boxes clearly, especially if they contain fragile items.
- For extremely valuable items (jewelry, important documents), consider transporting them yourself.
6. Supervise the Loading Process:
- Be present when your belongings are being loaded. This allows you to monitor how items are handled and communicate any concerns.
7. Understand the Delivery Window:
- Ensure you know when to expect your belongings at your new location. A longer delivery window can sometimes mean your items are being transferred between different trucks or storage facilities, increasing the risk of damage or loss.
8. Inspect Upon Delivery:
- Check all items for damages or missing pieces as they're unloaded.
- Document any damage immediately, and report it to the moving company before signing off on the delivery.
- Establish clear communication with your movers. Discuss any specific concerns or requirements you have regarding certain belongings.
10. Building Requirements:
- In places like New York City, some buildings have specific regulations or require a Certificate of Insurance (COI) from the moving company. Ensure you've communicated these requirements to your movers ahead of time.
Remember, while no strategy guarantees 100% safety of belongings, these steps significantly reduce the risk of damage or loss during the moving process. The key is being proactive, thorough, and attentive throughout the move.
How do New York moving companies handle unexpected delays during a move?
Unexpected delays can occur during any move, and New York, with its unique challenges, is no exception. Moving companies operating in such a dynamic environment often have strategies and policies in place to handle delays. Here's how New York moving companies typically manage unexpected hold-ups:
1. Communication: This is paramount. Reputable moving companies will keep their clients informed about any delays as soon as they become apparent. Whether it's traffic congestion, bad weather, or truck issues, they will let you know the cause of the delay and provide an updated timeline.
2. Rescheduling: If the delay is significant, the moving company might offer to reschedule the move to a different time or day, especially if they anticipate the delay causing complications with other scheduled moves.
3. Additional Crew and Resources: To speed up the process and make up for lost time, some moving companies might deploy additional crew members or resources to the site.
4. Storage Solutions: If the delay means you can't move into your new place immediately (e.g., if there's a hold-up with your new apartment's availability), many moving companies offer short-term storage solutions, either included in the initial cost or for an additional fee.
5. Compensation or Discounts: While not always the case, some moving companies might offer compensation or discounts for significant delays, especially if they were due to company errors or oversight.
6. Contract Clauses: Most moving contracts have clauses that outline the company's responsibilities in the event of delays. It's essential to be familiar with the terms and conditions related to unforeseen hold-ups and any potential penalties or compensations outlined.
7. Traffic Updates: Given the frequent traffic challenges in New York, many moving companies use real-time traffic monitoring systems to identify and avoid congested routes, thus minimizing delays.
8. Permits and Parking: To avoid delays due to parking restrictions, many moving companies are familiar with New York's parking regulations. They might also assist with securing necessary permits or parking spots in advance to ensure the moving truck can park as close as possible to your residence.
9. Equipment Backup: In the case of equipment failure (like a breakdown of the moving truck), well-prepared moving companies have backup vehicles or can rent substitute vehicles to continue the move.
10. Weather Preparedness: New York can experience adverse weather conditions, from snowstorms to heavy rain. Experienced moving companies monitor weather forecasts and have plans in place, including protective coverings for items, alternative routes, and even rescheduling options if necessary.
While moving companies try their best to anticipate and manage challenges, unforeseen delays can still occur. The most important thing is to maintain open communication with your movers and be aware of the policies and provisions in your contract related to delays.
How can I compare and choose between different New York moving companies?
Comparing and choosing between different New York moving companies requires thorough research and consideration of various factors to ensure a smooth and cost-effective move. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you make an informed decision:
1. Begin with Recommendations and Research:
- Ask friends, family, or coworkers for recommendations based on their experiences.
- Browse online review platforms like Yelp, Google Reviews, or the Better Business Bureau for customer feedback.
2. Verify Licensing and Insurance:
- For local moves within New York, check that the company is licensed with the New York Department of Transportation.
- For interstate moves, verify the company's U.S. DOT number.
- Ensure the company has valid insurance to cover potential damages to your belongings.
3. Get Multiple In-Person Estimates:
- Avoid over-the-phone or online estimates, as they might not be as accurate.
- An in-person estimate will allow the company to assess the volume of your items and provide a more accurate quote.
- Ensure the estimate is detailed and covers all costs, including potential additional fees.
4. Compare Services Offered:
- Some companies offer additional services like packing, temporary storage, or specialty item moving. Understand what's included in the quote and what comes at an extra charge.
- If you're interested in these services, inquire about their costs and quality.
5. Review the Contract:
- Once you've shortlisted a few companies, review their contracts in detail.
- Check for clauses related to delays, damage liabilities, and any additional fees.
- Ensure there's a clear breakdown of costs.
6. Check for Hidden Fees:
- New York moves can have specific challenges, like parking or building access restrictions. Ask about any potential extra charges related to these issues.
7. Company Reputation and Longevity:
- Companies that have been in business for a long time often have more experience navigating the unique challenges of moving to New York moving.
- A strong reputation in the community can be a good indicator of reliability.
8. Ask About the Moving Crew:
- Inquire about the experience and training of the moving crew.
- Check if the company uses subcontractors or has its dedicated team. While subcontracting isn't necessarily a red flag, it's good to be aware.
9. Valuation and Insurance Options:
- Understand the valuation coverage provided in the base cost and inquire about options for additional coverage.
- If you have high-value items, you might consider getting additional insurance.
10. Communication and Customer Service:
- A responsive and transparent moving company can be a boon during the stress of moving. Evaluate how promptly and clearly the company answers your questions.
11. Cancellation or Rescheduling Policy:
- It's crucial to know the company's policy regarding date changes or cancellations, especially if you foresee potential changes to your plans.
12. Secure References:
- Ask potential movers for references from recent clients. Speaking directly with previous customers can provide insight into the company's performance.
13. Trust Your Gut:
- Sometimes, your intuition can guide you. If a company gives you an uneasy feeling or seems too good to be true, it's okay to be cautious.
After considering all these factors and evaluating your specific needs, you'll be better equipped to choose the New York moving company that's right for you. Remember, the cheapest option isn't always the best, and the quality and reliability of service should be high priorities.
What are the advantages of hiring New York moving companies for small moves?
Even for smaller moves, hiring a professional moving company in New York can offer several advantages. Here are some of the benefits of hiring professionals for your small move in NYC:
1. Efficiency: Professional movers are trained to pack, load, transport, and unload items quickly and efficiently. What might take you several hours or even days can often be completed by professionals in a fraction of the time.
2. Safety: Moving heavy items can pose risks of injury, especially if you're not familiar with proper lifting techniques. Professionals have the necessary equipment and knowledge to move items safely.
3. Equipment: Professional moving companies come equipped with dollies, moving blankets, straps, and other equipment that can make the move smoother and protect your belongings.
4. Stress Reduction: Moving is often cited as one of life's most stressful events. Hiring professionals can significantly reduce the stress associated with packing, transportation, and navigating the busy streets of New York.
5. Insurance: Professional moving companies offer valuation coverage for your belongings. While there are different levels of coverage, even basic protection can provide peace of mind.
6. Expertise in Navigating NYC: New York City poses unique moving challenges, from tight staircases to parking restrictions. Experienced NYC movers are familiar with these challenges and know how to handle them.
7. Storage Solutions: If there's a delay or if you need to store some items temporarily, many moving companies offer storage solutions, which can be convenient for those in transitional living situations.
8. Cost-Effective: While there's an upfront cost to hiring movers, you might save money in the long run by avoiding damages to your belongings or potential medical bills from injuries. Additionally, many moving companies offer competitive rates for smaller moves.
9. Reliability: Rather than relying on friends or family to help with your move (who might cancel or be unavailable at the last minute), hiring a professional moving company ensures that you have a reliable team on your moving day.
10. Peace of Mind: Knowing that trained professionals are handling your belongings can provide significant peace of mind, allowing you to focus on other aspects of your move or transition.
11. Avoid Multiple Trips: Even for small moves, without a sufficiently sized vehicle, you might find yourself making multiple trips back and forth. A moving company can efficiently move your items in one go.
12. Packing Services: Many moving companies offer packing services, ensuring that your items are packed securely and efficiently. This can be a boon for those who are short on time or unsure about the best packing techniques.
In summary, while small moves might seem manageable, they come with their own set of challenges, especially in a bustling city like New York. Hiring a professional moving company, even for a smaller move, can provide numerous benefits in terms of efficiency, safety, and peace of mind.
How can I choose the right New York moving company for my needs?
Choosing the right moving company in New York tailored to your specific needs involves a combination of research, due diligence, and understanding your own requirements. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you make an informed decision:
1. Assess Your Needs:
- Size of the Move: Are you making a small move (just a room) or moving an entire household? This can dictate the type of company you'll need.
- Special Items: Do you have any special or delicate items like pianos, artwork, or antiques? Some companies specialize in handling these.
- Distance: Is it a local move within NYC or a long-distance move to another state or even internationally?
2. Get Recommendations:
- Personal recommendations from friends, family, or colleagues can be invaluable. They can provide insight into reliability, costs, and the overall experience.
3. Read Online Reviews:
- Platforms like Yelp, Google Reviews, and the Better Business Bureau can provide customer feedback and any complaints against the company.
4. Check Credentials:
- Ensure the company is licensed and insured. For local moves, check with the New York Department of Transportation. For interstate moves, verify the company’s U.S. DOT number.
5. Get In-Person Estimates:
- Avoid phone or online estimates, as they might not be accurate.
- Ensure the estimate covers all aspects of the move, and understand any potential additional charges. Compare estimates from different companies.
6. Understand Pricing and Additional Costs:
- Ask about the pricing structure, whether it's hourly or a flat rate.
- Understand any potential additional costs (e.g., if they have to park far from the entrance, if you live in a walk-up apartment, etc.)
7. Services Offered:
- Some companies offer packing, temporary storage, or even unpacking services. Determine if you need these and what the costs are.
8. Check Equipment and Staff:
- A good company will have modern, clean trucks and equipment. They should also have trained staff and a uniformed crew.
- How responsive is the company to your queries? Good communication can ease a lot of the stress associated with moving.
10. Insurance and Valuation:
- What protection does the company offer for your belongings? Understand the difference between basic coverage (often at a per-pound rate) and full-value protection.
11. Ask Questions:
- Inquire about their experience, especially in New York City, which has its unique moving challenges.
- Ask about their cancellation or rescheduling policy.
12. Visit Their Office:
- If possible, visit the moving company's office. This can give you a sense of their professionalism and organization.
13. Trust Your Instincts:
- Your comfort and trust in the company are essential. If something feels off or too good to be true, it might be worth looking elsewhere.
Once you've gathered all this information, evaluate it against your specific needs. Remember, the cheapest option isn't always the best one. Prioritize reliability, professionalism, and the safety of your belongings. With the right research and preparation, you'll find a New York moving company that aligns with your needs and provides a seamless transition to your new home.
What are the differences between DIY and full-service New York moving companies?
Both DIY (Do-It-Yourself) moves and hiring full-service New York moving companies have their pros and cons. Here's a breakdown of the differences between the two options:
### DIY Moving:
- Pros: Generally, DIY is considered cheaper since you're not paying for labor. You'll primarily be responsible for the cost of renting a truck or van and buying packing supplies.
- Cons: Hidden expenses can arise, such as fuel, tolls, additional rental equipment, or any damage that occurs during the move.
- Pros: You have full control over the packing, loading, transportation, and unpacking process. This can be ideal for those who prefer to handle their belongings personally.
- Cons: The entire responsibility of the move falls on you, which can be stressful.
- Pros: You can move on your own schedule without being tied to a company's timeline.
- Cons: Without a strict schedule, some people might procrastinate or underestimate the time required, leading to rushed last-minute efforts.
- Pros: You can enlist the help of friends or family, potentially making it a more personal and collaborative experience.
- Cons: The physical strain of lifting heavy items can lead to injuries if not done correctly. You also rely on the availability and reliability of those you've asked to help.
### Full-Service Moving Companies:
- Pros: You get a comprehensive service that covers every aspect of the move. The cost is often transparent, with quotes provided upfront.
- Cons: Generally more expensive than DIY, especially for smaller moves.
- Pros: A reputable moving company will handle your belongings professionally and responsibly, alleviating your stress.
- Cons: You relinquish some control over your items and must trust the movers. Some people might feel uneasy about strangers handling their personal belongings.
- Pros: Once you set a date and time, you can rely on the company to stick to that schedule.
- Cons: You're tied to the company's availability, which might not always align with your ideal moving date, especially during peak moving seasons.
- Pros: Trained professionals handle the heavy lifting, reducing the risk of injury. The move is generally faster and more efficient.
- Cons: You'll have to ensure the company's team is trustworthy and trained properly.
5. Additional Services:
- Many full-service moving companies offer additional services like packing, unpacking, storage, and even setup in your new home. This can further reduce the hassle of moving.
- Full-service moving companies offer valuation coverage for your belongings, with options to upgrade to comprehensive insurance plans.
In conclusion, your choice between DIY and a full-service New York moving company will depend on your budget, the size and complexity of your move, your comfort level in relinquishing control, and your physical capability. Some people opt for a hybrid approach, packing their items themselves and then hiring professionals for the loading and transportation. Evaluate your needs and priorities before making a decision.