Canada International Moving Services
Are you planning to relocate to Canada? We understand that moving overseas can be such an arduous undertaking, and can seem almost impossible. Indeed, making a move across borders comes with a lot of rules and regulations compared to an interstate hop. For this reason, many people seek professional services to ease the burden. We are an overseas moving company that also handles auto transport, and we will help you bridge the gap. In this article, we will give you helpful information that will make your relocation to Canada easy.
Moving to Canada Cost & Time Examples
|Miami to Montreal||$3,200 - $4,500||$5,900 - $8,100||3-4 weeks|
|Houston to Toronto||$3,300 - $4,600||$6,100 - $8,300||3-4 weeks|
|Detroit to Toronto||$3,800 - $5,300||$6,900 - $9,300||3-4 weeks|
|Seattle to Montreal||$4,000 - $5,500||$7,400 - $10,100||4-6 weeks|
|San Diego to Toronto||$4,400 - $5,900||$8,100 - $10,900||4-6 weeks|
|Indianapolis to Montreal||$4,400 - $5,900||$7,800 - $10,500||3-4 weeks|
|Portland to Toronto||$4,400 - $6,000||$8,100 - $11,000||4-6 weeks|
|Chicago to Toronto||$4,400 - $6,000||$7,900 - $10,800||3-4 weeks|
|Las Vegas to Montreal||$4,600 - $6,300||$8,600 - $11,500||4-6 weeks|
|Denver to Toronto||$6,400 - $8,700||$11,700 - $15,800||4-6 weeks|
*Please note that these estimates do not include taxes, customs fees & duties, insurance & quarantine inspections. They assume easy access to both pick up and drop-off addresses and do not allow for special items such as pianos.
Estimated Weight (based on home size): 1BR=2600 lbs - 3900 lbs 2BR=3900 lbs - 5200 lbs 3BR=6500 lbs - 9100 lbs 4BR=9100 lbs - 14300 lbs 5BR=11700 lbs - 19500 lbs
Import duties levied by Canadian customs
Duty-free importation of your regular household goods is possible, but you do have to meet certain conditions. If you’re immigrating to Canada or have a valid Work Visa or Student Visa - then you won’t pay any duty on your used household belongings. This is provided you owned these goods prior to bringing them into Canada, and you won’t transfer or sell these items for a minimum of one year after entering the country. Also, for any item worth over $10,000 - duty will still apply (1).
If you’ll just be a seasonal resident of Canada instead, then the regulations required for duty exemption are much more involved. You can read the full list here.
Paperwork required by Canadian customs
When moving your household goods into the country, you’ll need to give customs your passport and Original Bill of Lading or Air Waybill. You must also demonstrate residency outside of the country for a minimum of one year, using your past lease contract, receipts of rent paid, utility statements or more.
If you need a Work Permit or Student Visa to enter, then this should also be provided. Customs also requires proof that you’ve established residency within Canada, in the form of your lease or purchase contract. Form BSF186 (which was previously called form B4) is also necessary (2).
Import duties levied on your vehicle
If you’ll be entering the country under a valid Work Permit or Student Visa, then you can import your vehicle without paying any duty. This duty and tax exemption only lasts as long as your visa or permit - after which time you must export the vehicle out of Canada (or pay the applicable duty). It isn’t clear whether the requirement that the vehicle be owned and used for a minimum of six months applies, as this may only be necessary for permanent importation (3).
If you’ll be moving to Canada instead of just living there temporarily - then it isn’t clear how duty will be handled. One reputable source doesn’t broach the subject at all, with another stipulating that duty-free importation is available (4). Therefore, you’re advised to speak with Canadian customs to clear up this question. Finally, if you do obtain duty exemption - local taxes may still apply (5).
Paperwork required for your vehicle
When bringing your vehicle into Canada, customs will ask to see DOT Form HS-7. Your Original Bill of Lading and EPA Emissions Form 3520-1 are also required. Some form of personal or photo identification is also needed, along with the purchase invoice (or Bill of Sale) for the vehicle (6).
Many more regulations and some additional paperwork apply, both for your household goods and your vehicle. For example, vehicles manufactured more than 15 years ago fall under different guidelines - and modifications (to comply with Canada’s technical standards) could be needed (7).
Therefore, to ensure you fulfill all the requirements set forth by customs, it’s best to call them to discuss the details of your specific situation.
Tips on how to make your international move easier
- Start early: Because moving abroad is different from moving locally, it is important to start early with the preparations. Planning 90 days before moving is the recommended time frame by most international movers. This will help you to get everything in order and avoid delays with customs. It ensures that you will have a hassle-free transition.
- Visa and passport: Moving overseas requires both a visa and passport. Make sure you have done enough research on what type of visa you require when looking for Canada International Moving Services. Also, ensure that you have acquired your passport from the US Government. Importantly, make arrangements for your residency and other requirements such as getting a work permit in advance.
- Visit: There is nothing as daunting as going to a new place without having prior information. In this case, you will be moving with your belongings, thus making it more tasking. It is therefore, advisable to visit Canada at least weeks or months before just to have a feel of where you will be moving to.
- Save money: Moving overseas is quite an expensive affair. You might face difficult times before you get employment or other income-generating activity so plan your budget and cut costs before you settle down.
Why you need a professional moving company when relocating overseas
Professional movers come with the relevant experience to handle your relocation needs. It would be almost impossible if you decided to do all that work by yourself. In fact, they will help you pack and secure your belongings without any damages.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods internationally. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Also, they come with the relevant equipment that is designed to make the work stress-free. Certainly, you will have peace of mind when all the difficult activities are left to those who have been trained for such duties.
How to find the best international moving company
When looking for Canada international moving services search the web or ask friends for recommendations. While doing so, it is important to look out for the following:
- Research on the internet to get a list of professional movers near you.
- Get customer reviews from the respective companies’ websites.
- Compare their rates and find a good mover with the best estimate.
- Ensure that the moving company has insurance that covers for damages during transit.
Our Canada international moving services
We offer the following:
- Packing/unpacking: We help you to get your belongings into our transport facilities. Also, we will help you unpack after relocation and assist you settle in.
- Commercial moving: We offer international moving of offices and businesses. This includes moving of office equipment and other assets related to your office/business.
- Apartment moves: We help in relocating from one apartment to another.
- Planning and preparation: We offer assistance in getting your household goods in order prior to the day of moving. This includes helping you put your belongings in batches to make it easy come the day of moving.
- Visa and immigration services: We also help in visa application and registration services at the Canadian immigration department.
- Housing assistance: We help with locating suitable housing.
- Family services: We help with locating suitable providers of basic family services such as laundry and gardening.
- Auto transport: We also handle the international moving of vehicles.
- Canada container shipping
Why A-1 Auto Transport?
We have over 30 years’ experience in moving services. Indeed, we have helped thousands of people with worldwide moving services when they retire or just want to relocate. We also have the resources and knowledge to make sure that you have all the information you need. If you have any questions regarding international moving, rest assured that we have the answers.
Talk to us
If you are thinking of moving from the US to Canada, we are the perfect international moving company for you. Talk to us by contacting our experts on our toll-free number 888-509-3213. Please don’t forget that you can get free estimates of our services by filling-in the form at the top of this page.
- Whether duty exemption is available for immigrants isn’t mentioned:
- States that duty exemption is possible for all vehicle imports: Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Canada” page.
- Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Canada” page.
- Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Canada” page.
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.
Email me - firstname.lastname@example.org