Cheap Long Distance Moving Companies
It’s easy to find the right mover at an inexpensive cost. Use the Internet to look up movers nearest the home you’re moving away from. Make sure they have a positive reputation and offer a variety of moving and storage services. As professional movers, the companies you come across should also carry the proper licensing and certifications. Once you narrow your options, call the moving companies that appealed to you most for quotes on the services.
How Is the Cost of Your Move Determined?
All movers have the right to set their own rates on moving services. However, there is a system that the majority follows so that they can give their customers the most honest rate. Perhaps the largest factor taken into account before a quote is given is the net weight of all your belongings. To get the net weight, the moving company will weigh the truck being used to haul your belongings. This is called the tare weight. Once your items are loaded onto the truck, the weight of the truck is taken again. This is the gross weight. When the tare weight is subtracted from the gross weight, the net weight is determined.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Aside from the net weight, the mileage is also taken into consideration. The current cost of fuel and the distance between the starting and ending locations also affect the cost. As for a mover’s optional services, their cost is calculated differently. For example, if you decide to purchase full packing services, you are likely to be charged by each box packed by the movers.
Most moving companies will expect your moving services to be paid in full after the delivery is made. However, you may be asked to pay a small initial deposit to book your service date. This only reassures the mover that you’re not going to cancel the move before they get to your home for the loading process. The deposit is then subtracted from your final cost of services after the delivery of your belongings is made.
Cheap Long Distance Moving Companies – How To Save Money On Your Move
A long distance move can be quite expensive. The cost of packing, moving and transporting your furniture and belongings is usually quite high, especially if you’re moving from a large house, and you have quite a bit of stuff.
But you don’t have to pay an arm and a leg for long distance moving services. Today, it’s easier than ever to find a cheap, reliable long distance moving company – and you can use a number of other tips and tricks to save money when you’re moving. Get the details from A-1 Auto Transport now, and see how you can stretch your dollar during your next move.
Understanding How Moving Costs Are Determined
To understand the best way to save money when hiring long distance movers, it’s important to understand how, exactly, the costs of your move are determined. Here are the primary factors that will determine the cost of your move.
- The net weight of your items – The net weight of your items is calculated by subtracting the tare rate (the weight of an unloaded moving truck) from the gross rate (the weight of the moving truck with all of your stuff inside). The more stuff you have and the heavier it is, the more your move will cost.
- Labor costs – Naturally, your movers will charge an hourly labor rate for their services, when packing, driving, unpacking, and performing other services related to your move.
- The difficulty or complexity of moving your items – If you have a number of large, awkward or fragile items – such as an extremely heavy heirloom dresser or a piano – these may cost more to move. Your move may also cost more if it’s very difficult to move large items like furniture, due to the lack of a freight elevator, or small doors and windows.
- Total distance – The distance of your move is factored into your quote. Mileage, fuel consumption and other fees are assessed, based on the distance you’re moving. A longer move will cost more money.
Though a number of other factors, including charges for additional services such as storage services or full-service packing and unpacking, that may go into your quote. But these are the primary determining factors for a basic long distance move.
Do Some Comparison Shopping – Get Multiple Quotes To Save
One of the simplest ways to save money and hire a cheap long distance moving company is to compare the rates you get from each company.
You can get a quote from as many different companies as you want – to ensure that you’re paying a fair market rate, and that you can get a good price.
So don’t be afraid to ask multiple companies for a quote, or try to negotiate a better rate. For the best results, get in-person quotes from each moving company. In-person quotes will be much more accurate than phone quotes – so you won’t be surprised by extra costs when it’s time to sign your contract.
Avoid Cheap, Cut-Rate, Unlicensed Moving Companies – It’s Not Worth The Risk!
We understand that moving is expensive. Even if you find a cheap long distance moving company, the average cost of a long-distance move can range from $2,000 - $5,000.
Despite this, though, you should be very suspicious if a moving company gives you a quote that’s far lower than all of the other quotes you’ve received. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! You may be working with a company that’s unlicensed and uninsured, or employs low-quality workers who may damage your items. You could even get scammed – the moving company could make away with your deposit, and never move your items as they agreed, or steal your stuff.
Risking all of your possessions is not worth saving a few hundred bucks on moving costs. Make sure that you choose a cheap long distance moving company that can provide proof of insurance, is registered with the USDOT (U.S. Department of Transportation), and that has a history of good customer service – such as A-1 Auto Transport.
Our Top Tips For Saving Money While Moving – Everything You Need To Know
So, you’ve found a cheap long distance moving company. But you’re wondering how you can make sure you save even more money, and pay as little as possible when moving. Here’s a quick guide full of handy tips you can use to save more when moving!
- Avoid full-service moving – If you can afford it, full-service moving is a great thing. Your movers will pack all of your stuff, move it to your new home, and unpack it all under your supervision – you don’t have to lift a finger. However, full-service moving can easily cost 2-3x more than standard moving services, where you pack and unpack your stuff on your own. So if you’re on a budget, skip it, and pack on your own.
- Book your movers early – If you book movers several months in advance, you’ll get a better rate, compared to a last-minute booking. A rush move can cost you quite a bit more money, as the movers must prioritize your home over others, and make last-minute scheduling changes.
- Move during the off-season (if possible) – Demand for movers tends to peak in the summer, particularly during June and July. This is because the weather is nice and the kids are out of school – so many folks who plan moves in advance will pick the summer for their move. This means higher moving fees. Moving in the off-season can save you some money. In addition, if you schedule your move in the middle of the month, you may also be able to get a lower rate, as the end and beginning of the month are typically busier for movers.
- Get free boxes from local businesses – Local bookstores, grocery stores, and other retailers often have high-quality boxes you can have for free. Just ask a manager or store employee nicely, and see what they can do for you! The cost of boxes can add up – so this is a great cost savings tip.
- Sell or give away stuff you don’t need – Moving is the perfect time to take stock of what you do – and don’t – need. After all, why pay to haul junk or things that you don’t want all across the country? You could set up a yard sale, sell some of your stuff on Craigslist – or just donate it to a local charity like the Salvation Army and Goodwill. The more you sell or give away, the more you’ll save when it’s time to move.
- Consider selling your furniture – In some cases, it may cost more to move your furniture than it’s worth, particularly if it’s not of very high quality. It may make more sense to sell your furniture on Craigslist and use the money to buy new furniture at your destination – particularly if you are moving very far away.
- Pack your heaviest stuff in your own car or truck – Your movers don’t have to haul everything. If you’ve got a spacious car, crossover, truck or SUV, you can cram it to the rafters with your own stuff. We recommend prioritizing heavy items, like cutlery, dishes, pots and pans, weights and workout equipment, and even home appliances, if they’ll fit and can be transported safely. Canned goods, tools and toolboxes, and other such basics are also a good idea to pack. Remember, your moving costs are partly determined by weight. The more weight you save on your moving truck, the more money you’ll save! Just make sure to check out the owner’s manual of your car or truck – you don’t want to exceed the maximum load recommended by the manufacturer, or you could do permanent damage to your suspension, tires, or other important components of your vehicle.
- Make sure you pack your fragile items properly – Replacing broken stuff can be a big expense, particularly if items like electronics or fine china are damaged during your move. Your movers will have insurance, of course – but if your items are packed improperly and not protected, it may not cover your losses. How should you pack your fragile, delicate valuables? Use heavy-duty boxes, don’t overload each box, and use plenty of packing materials like air bags for packing, packing peanuts, old newspapers to protect each item.
With these tips, you can save even more money when hiring cheap long distance moving companies – which is always a good thing.
Ready To Move? Need A Quote? Get In Touch With Our Team Today!
We understand how costly a cross-country – or even a local move – can be. If you’re looking to save money when moving, we’re here to help. We offer some of the best rates for both local and long-distance moves, and we’ll do everything we can to help you stretch your budget – but still get all of the moving services you need.
Interested in a quote? Please give A-1 Auto Transport a call at 888-509-3213. You can also contact us online. We’ve been in business for decades – and our team of movers is here to help you save money, and ensure that your move is completed without any delays, frustration, or other incidents. Get started now.
Related Information & FAQ
- Cheap moving companies near me
- Inexpensive moving companies
- Least expensive moving company
- Discount movers
- Flat Rate Moving Companies
- Cheap Moving Help
- Cheap Moving and Storage Services
- Cheap Moving and Packing Services
- Cheap Company Relocation Services
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.
Email me - firstname.lastname@example.org