Things To Do About Issues That Arise During The Final Walk Through
Conducting a final walk through together with the estate agent is very important. Not only will you be able to note any defects that have occurred in the course of your tenancy but you will also get a clear picture of how much deposit you will get back. A final walk-through can be scheduled two weeks or a few days before your moving day depending on availability but the agent will do another one after you leave the premises.
Issues expected during a final walk-through
- dirty walls and peeled-off paint
- broken toilet seat and cistern
- broken appliances and fixtures
- torn off carpet or hardwood floor
- broken windows or doors
- clogged drainage
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
What to do about the issues
As you walk with the agent through the house, the two of you should take note of every defect that you see and write it down. Once that is done, sit down and agree on the best way to handle those defects. You can even come up with an estimate of how much money will be needed to do repairs, repaint and get back that house to the way it was when you moved in. The best real estate firms usually have an agreement form where you will sign if you both agree on the matter. However, it is important to note that the agent has the right to add to that list later if he comes across other issues that you did not see on that day. Your deposit may still be deducted even after you take care of the issues so it’s good not to expect the full amount.
There are two ways you can handle the issues that come to light during the inspection;
- Take care of them yourself. If you have the time and the money it is better to take care of the repairs and the repainting yourself. You can also have the entire house cleaned thoroughly before or after you move out. Taking care of the issues yourself may be cheaper and it will allow the agent to refund your deposit in full.
- Let the agent take care of them. Alternatively, you can just note down the issues and agree with the agent that he will take care of them and deduct the cost on your deposit. Many people think this is a mistake because most agents will lie about the actual cost of the repairs, cleanup and repainting. However, there are those honest and ethical agents who will not lie to you and they will only deduct what is required. Leaving the job to the agent is much easier because you can move out and focus on your new home instead of the old one and also get time to unpack. Agents also have their own repair men that charge them better rates so it can be cheaper.
What you do about the issues you find during the walk-through is all dependent on you. If getting your deposit back in full is very important, you should consider taking care of the issues yourself instead of leaving them to the landlord.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.