Whenever you ship a car outside the United States, you should expect to owe taxes and duties for the import. Not all countries require foreigners to pay taxes on the goods they’re importing into the country, but those shipping a car to Puerto Rico will have taxes to pay.
Before the transport can even begin, you must pay off all taxes and duties associated with the vehicle’s import.
The Embassy of Puerto Rico can provide you with the nation’s current auto import rates. These taxes aren’t included in the bill you receive from the transporter for shipping services. You’ll have to go to the facility started to pay off the country’s taxes and duties. Always get a receipt for your payment so you can show proof of the paid taxes to Customs.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
What Taxes are Included in the Bill?
- A 6.6% tax applies to must imported goods with the exclusion of medical supplies and food.
- 5% excise tax.
- Miscellaneous import fees.
Other taxes may apply, but you’ll have to ask the embassy after you give them some information about the car. Based on the CIF value, weight, and other specs, your tax rates are determined.
In most cases, the taxes and duties owed are costlier than the actual price of shipping services. A lot of shipping customers forget that there are other bills to pay after the transport is scheduled. Not all countries have high tax rates. If you’re curious about the rates for import taxes and would like to find out what they are before you schedule your shipping process, contact the embassy of the nation you’d like to ship to.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory