Shipping a boat can be a tedious process especially for new buyers. However, a reliable company should help you through the process. Basically, you want a company that:
- Communicates clearly: There are several processes required to ship a boat. A top-rated shipping company should communicate clearly and efficiently to let you understand the procedures.
- Has experts: Boat shipping requires professionals due to the complexity of the vessel. The company should have people who understand how to handle your boat carefully. Also, they should know the legal processes involved in the transportation business.
- Has tracking services: You definitely want to tract your own vessel without having to call the shipper. Although most of the companies have tracking services, ensure that they are reliable. With advancements in technology, a company with satellite tracking services should be a plus.
- Insures boats: A shipping company should cover for your boat in the case of an accident. It is important to understand the insurance policy provided by your company before shipping. Usually, the insurance quotes vary with the value of a vessel and the risks involved.
- Has fair prices: A good trick here is to compare quotes from several shipping companies. Make your own judgment of what is fair. Low prices can sometimes be an indicator of poor services. You also do not want to go with an over-priced company.
- Good reviews: Before hiring a shipper, research about them. Usually, online reviews are one of the ways to judge a company’s reputation. Be careful though; do not take the customer’s word for it. Some online reviews can be the result of manipulation. If you are looking for more information search the online review sites.
- Has shown growth: Financial stability is a good indicator of a reliable company. Search for financial reports of your potential shipping companies and see if they reflect growth. Some companies as we shall see in the list below become top-rated within a few years of operation. If a company is stable, it will not want to tarnish its reputation through shoddy deals.
- Area of operation: A reliable company should comfortably ship to your destination. This is an indication that the shipper is reachable and will work with your preferences. It also indicates that your boat will arrive in good time. If you are shipping internationally, ensure that your company does overseas shipping
Having known the basics of a reliable company, we have done our best to compile a list of some top shippers. The data can be obtained from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Hopefully, this list will give you some guidance.
Boat Shipping Companies Directory
All states WorldCargo
ASWD offers a wide range of boat shipping services across the U.S. having been established in 1961, the company has grown to offer warehousing, distribution, brokerage, and shipping services.
1 Pelican Drive
Bayville, NJ 08721
Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS)
DAS ships vehicles and large over hauls across the United States. It prides itself in the ability to deliver large shipment with its 150 multiple-carriers. Each of their shipped vehicles enjoys a $50,000 insurance coverage. With over 60 years of experience, DAS is no doubt a top-rated boat shipping company.
3020 E. Hwy 80
Mesquite, TX 75149
Direct Express Auto Transport
Since 2003, the Direct Express Auto Transport has grown to become a reliable shipper. It offers shipment services across the U.S
101 Lucas Valley Rd.
San Rafael, CA 94903
Montway Auto Transport
Montaway has grown from a car shipping broker to offer shipping services. Having been established in 2006, the company has grown steadily to become a trusted shipper.
1400 East Touhy Ave. #255
Des Plaines, IL 60018
We will Transport it
We Will Transport It specializes in shipping boats, cars, yachts, and large over hauls. It has been in operation since 2009. According to their website, they are A+ Dot carriers who pride in their honesty.
2800 W. Oakland Park Blvd
Oakland Park, FL 33311
UniversalCargo ships both internationally and locally. It deals with a range of vessels including cars, boats, and large over haul vessels. The company provides a range of services from over land to air shipments. With over 30 years of experience, the company prides in its reliability and expertise. According to their website, each customer is gets an account executive and a manager.
Los Angeles, CA,
These 6 companies are known for their dedication to providing quality boat shipment services.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.