What are the Tips On How To Unload Furniture Safely Without Damaging It?
Most people who have moved before will tell you that moving to a new home especially over a long distance and with numerous items is quite hectic. One of the factors that make such moves challenging is when one has to move with large pieces of furniture. How do you ensure their safety during the loading and unloading process? Usually, it is advisable to have a checklist to track all your items. However, it does not have to be stressful to move. You can hire a trusted moving company to help you out. All you need to do is engage the services of a professional and experienced moving company. Nevertheless, here are reliable tips on how to unload furniture safely without damaging it.
- Slide the furniture: Large furniture can be challenging to move and unload. Mishandling might lead to significant damage to the furniture. However, sliding the furniture can help you ease the stress of having to lift them. Use things such as a flattened cardboard, a moving pad, or furniture sliders to move the large furniture.
- Use proper lifting and carrying techniques: Unloading furniture safely requires careful use of ideal lifting and carrying techniques. If you use the wrong techniques chances of the furniture falling or being scratched are high. For example, it is recommended to ensure that you bend well and combine both the legs and the arms when lifting and carrying heavy pieces of furniture. In addition, you should ensure the furniture is held near your body and that you move with steady but slow steps.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
- Avoid working in a rush: It is said that haste makes waste. This applies when moving –make sure that you do not rush anything lest you cause damages on the furniture. As such, you should plan all the unloading steps well and avoid making hasty actions as such can lead to rookie damages on your expensive and lovely furniture.
- Make use of the right moving equipment: Large furniture can be hard to lift. Make sure that you use the appropriate moving equipment; they will help you make the process of unloading your furniture quite easy and safe. You can talk to your mover to provide you with a moving trolley to help in moving the furniture. Such trolleys, especially the upright metal ones are ideal for the protection of your furniture. You can also invest in shoulder straps –they not only make moving furniture easy but also safe.
- Disassemble your furniture to lower the weight: Unloading complete furniture can be as hard as it is unsafe. When unloading, it is important to reduce the weight of the furniture as much as possible for ease of movement. For example, remove shelves from drawers, bookcases, mattresses from beds, and pillows from the couches.
Moving with furniture is no doubt stressful and unloading them is hectic. However, if you prepare for the big move and hire an experienced mover, you are guaranteed that all your furniture will be unloaded safely without any damages occuring.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.