Many people make the decision to pack up and move without the help of professional moving and auto transportation companies. If you are considering doing a DIY move, take a look at some of the benefits and drawbacks of such a move before you make the final decision.
The Upsides Of Moving Without Professional Help
- Significantly reduced costs. If you take the moving matters into your own hands, then you will be saving money by not hiring independent movers, not renting U-Haul trucks, and not buying all the miscellaneous packing materials that movers will try to sell to you.
- Control over the timeline and schedule. You won't have to plan your move around a company’s projected availability. If any unexpected events come up, you won’t have to worry about cancellation fees. Also, you’ll know exactly where all of your possessions are, since you are the one in charge of packing up all of your belongings. This will make unpacking much easier and efficient.
- No need to worry about scams. If you’re not looking for independent companies to hire for your move, you eliminate the risk of getting trapped into a fraudulent scam.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, House Moving Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
The Downsides Of Moving Without Professional Help
- Increased stress and workload. If you choose to go the independent route, then you must be willing to devote a large amount of time and energy to planning and executing the move. This may get in the way of your work, social, or family life. You will probably have to take time off of work, so make sure you have enough vacation time accumulated.
- Financial oversights. While moving on your own will more than likely reduce costs for you, that is only true if you know exactly what you need to purchase for your move. Be sure to remember to include the cost of packing tape and boxes in your budget list. Don’t forget the cost of traveling to your new destination (gas, airfare, hotels, food, etc.).
- The demands of physical labor may overwhelm you. Without the help of professional movers, you are solely responsible for lifting and moving heavy boxes, furniture, and equipment. Try to enlist the help of as many friends as you can, because doing too much of this kind of physical labor can make you susceptible to serious injuries.
As you have no doubt been able to tell, whether you choose to hire professional moving services or go it alone, there are certain drawbacks and advantages to each method of moving. Regardless of what method you choose, it is always absolutely essential and crucial to put in the time to research the best ways to ensure a safe and efficient moving process so your possessions remain intact and ready for use in your new home.
One more tip: after all the hassle, stress, and fatigue that a big move can bring about, it might not be a bad idea to schedule a day or two to rest once you’re relatively settled in your new lodgings.