If you have an old useless junk car that you’ve finally decided to sell, rather than keep around, you’re probably curious as to how to best go about getting rid of it. After all, the more money that you can get out of selling it, the better. But if it’s your first time selling a junk car, or even if it’s not, the following tips can help point you in the right direction in order to help you sell your car as easily as possible:
Sell It in Its Current State
Believe it or not, many people, as well as companies, actively seek out junk cars. Some of the reasons why they may want to purchase it “as is” are that they are:
- Planning to scrap it for parts to resell;
- Interested in particular parts of the car for personal use, such as rare or hard to find parts;
- Wanting to fix the car themselves for the purposes of reselling it at a higher value or for personal hobby.
If your car is completely inoperable, as most junk cars are, selling it “as is” is a easy way just to get rid of it and to get some cash back. You can advertise your junk car for sale on sites such as:
- Local newspaper ads;
- By putting a “For Sale” sign on your car;
Make sure to be completely forthcoming about the state of your car so that there’s no confusion on the buyer’s side.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Sell It for Parts
In order to maximize the amount of cash that you can receive for your junk car, another option is to sell it for parts. This means that, instead of selling the entire car, you’ll sell individual parts. It’s more work, but it could be worth it in terms of what you’ll receive in return.
The best way to go about this is to first take your car to a mechanic and explain what you’re trying to do. The mechanic will then examine your car to see which parts can be sold and which ones are simply too damaged to be of any value. The most valuable parts of a car usually are:
- The engine and its various components;
- The transmission;
- The braking system;
- The drive shaft.
Once you’ve determined which parts can be sold, your next step will either be to research how much these parts are being sold for online or to take it directly to a salvage lot to see how much they’re willing to offer. You can also advertise the individual parts on Craigslist, eBay, or your local newspaper.
Sell It to a Junkyard or Scrapyard
Lastly, you can also sell your junk car to a junkyard or a scrapyard. A junkyard will want to strip your car down and sell its parts individually, while a scrapyard will sell the scrap metal. No matter which of the two that you contact, be sure to let them know the exact condition of your car and what parts are missing if any. The more intact that your car is, even if it’s a junk car, the more value that you can get from it.
Of course, A-1 Auto Transport would be able to handle any auto transport needs when it comes to shipping your junk car, such as shipping it directly to a junkyard, scrapyard, or other buyer. Make sure to contact us today for your free quote!
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?