Know If You Should Re-use Packing Supplies From a Previous Move
You have found the perfect house, perfect location and you are all but ready to pack and move. However, between all the travelling, looking for a mover and even paying for the new house, you haven’t really budgeted for packing supplies. What do you do? Is it wise to re-use those packing supplies from your previous move? Depending on who you ask, there are two schools of thought regarding reusing old supplies.
Here is a look at both;
Yes, you should re-use packing supplies
Those who support this theory highlight the following as benefits to reusing the supplies:
- You will save money because you won’t have to shop for new packing supplies.
- You will be saving the environment by reusing as all those products are made from natural resources. By recycling, you reduce your carbon footprint on earth and also reduce pollution.
- You get to clean up your basement or wherever it is that you had stored all those boxes and wraps. After using them the second time, you can finally feel free to dispose them.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
No, you should not re-use supplies
- It’s unsanitary. Those old boxes, cling wraps and other items that have been lying around there since your last move have collected a lot of dust in the course of time. Unfortunately, you cannot wash them like fabric meaning you have to use dirty supplies and that is just unsanitary.
- They are weak. After the supplies were used the first time, their strength and structure was compromised so they can’t be compared to new items. By reusing old boxes for example, you run the risk of the box breaking open and pouring out the contents on the way. Other things like bubble wrap have also been popped so their protective nature is not as strong.
The middle ground
These two arguments hold water and it is easy to get confused on what one should do. However, if you want to play your part in conserving the environment or you don’t have money to buy new packing supplies, it is quite alright to re-use the old supplies in your basement. However, one must be very careful when doing so and ensure that all the boxes are sealed with new tape to prevent a mess. You can also choose only those items that are in good condition and dispose the rest. As far as cleanliness is concerned, items like clothes can packed in polythene bags before being put in boxes and everything else can be wiped clean if they get dirty.
Planning a move is complicated enough as it is without adding the pressure of buying new packing supplies. After all, most moving companies re-use moving supplies from client to client and nobody complains. It is okay to re-use anything that looks good and pay special attention to the packing yourself instead of delegating.
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.
Email me - firstname.lastname@example.org