When you ship a car in cold weather, or through a region that is likely to have rains and storms, the timeframe can be a little less precise than it would be in ideal conditions. Because of this, it can be helpful to consider some things that will help keep your car in good shape throughout the long haul of cold weather vehicle shipping.
You’ll need to be patient since the slow-going of driving through bad weather is even more of a hazard when hauling vehicles so the drivers need to be very cautious. In some instances, this can cause delays of several days, though an experienced auto shipper should be able to give you an idea of what to expect in this regard.
One of the issues of transporting cars in cold weather is that they are often moved on an open air carrier. What this means is that the cars are secured on an open trailer behind a semi truck, leaving them exposed to the elements, road debris, and other road hazards. The other option, which protects the vehicle against such things, is to use an enclosed carrier.
Unlike an open air carrier, an enclosed truck completely covers and shields the vehicle from anything that could damage it, including extreme temperatures, rain, and snow. An enclosed carrier offers the maximum level or protection and security for any vehicle that is shipped in the continental U.S.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Special Considerations For Snowbirds | Winter Auto Transport
Many of our clients that are shipping vehicles during cold weather are snowbirds that live in a warmer climate during winter months. A prime example of this are customers that live on the East Coast and relocate to the warmer temperatures of the Southeast, often from New York to Florida.
- Discounts – Many snowbirds may qualify for a shipping discount, especially if both ends of the trip are booked at the same time. If you know you’ll be shipping a car from the Midwest to Arizona for the winter, you can save some money by booking the trip back at the same time. Similar discounts apply on a seasonal basis, as well as for AAA members, seniors, and first-time car shippers. You can find more information about our discount program by clicking here.
- Operability – Making sure your car is operable throughout the process of shipping is important, especially in cold weather. If your batter fails during the trip and the car cannot be easily driven on and off of the carrier, you are likely to incur an additional cost. As a general rule, it’s a good idea to check your battery and all fluids before turning your car over to an auto transporter.
Call us today at the number at the top of the page if you’re considering shipping a vehicle during the winter months or through a cold weather region! We offer 100% FREE cost estimates to all customers and our staff are happy to answer your questions!
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory