The sixth largest city in Malta, Zabbar is a panoramic destination and a popular tourist attraction in the country. If you are moving here permanently as a returning citizen or for a short period due to work or to study, importing your vehicle holds advantage. This is because public transportation isn’t as efficient as you want and hiring a car on a regular basis can be expensive.
Although you need to take the ferry to visit the adjoining islands, but driving around in Zabbar and other cities in Malta are a breeze with well-maintained roads. With tropical weather all through the year, it is always pleasant to sightsee and drive around the country.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Before you actually ship to Malta, it is better to work with an international auto transport service that has experience in shipping to Malta and is conversant with the various regulations. At A1 Auto Transport service, we not only help you at every step of the shipping procedure but offer ‘door-to-door’ and ‘port-to-port’ services. This means that if you select door to door service, we pick your car from your door in US and deliver it to the address in Zabbar. While port to port is from US port to Zabbar port in Malta. Thereafter, the owner or an authorized representative has to collect it from the Maltese port. These services would be charged extra but you have the convenience of knowing that while you focus on other aspects of your move, we’ll be taking care of the vehicle for you. However, this is the list of documents that are needed:
- Car insurance certificate.
- Social security card.
- Driver’s license.
- Car title.
- Proof of purchase and details of the engine/chassis number, model and make.
- Signed power of attorney.
Additionally there are specific conditions that have to be fulfilled before you are allowed to import your vehicle. Some of these conditions include:
- Live in Zabbar or any other city in Malta for minimum of 6 months before you can import.
- You should own the vehicle in US for at least 6 months before you moved to Malta.
You have the choice of shipping your car by RORO or container shipping depending upon your budget and the type of vehicle you own. Expensive and luxury cars have an added lawyer of security when they are shipped within 20 feet or 40 feet sealed containers. The standard vehicles can be driven on and off the ship and harnessed in the bays on the deck. However, you can opt for any of these methods for your vehicle irrespective of the price. There are a couple of limitations associated with RORO that need to be adhered to.
Exemptions on custom taxes.
Though this is the eligibility criteria, there are certain exemptions on custom duty and related taxes that you can avail if you are returning citizen or one of the permanent residents who was living abroad and are coming back, you are exempt from import duties. However, you need to have:
- Provide proof of Insurance at the time of importation.
- Vehicle registration and repair log.
- Arrange for an inspection with the Transport Malta Agency.
Only permanent imports are taxed while temporary import of vehicles doesn’t come under the purview of taxation or adherence of the laws on license plates and driving license. The inspection is an important aspect of importing the vehicle and has to be done within the first week of vehicle import. You have to fill out forms VEH01, VEH02, VEH03 and VEH04 to get the appointment. The Letter of Conformity to the emissions laws in Malta is needed. You will need to get the local driving license and license plate. The car registration is needed and the fee is based on the value of the vehicle. Emission regulations are highly regarded and there are types of emissions to conform to.
To know more about the import laws on vehicles and documentation that is needed, you can contact the Embassy of Malta.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?