Winterthur is a suburban town in Zurich Canton, just north of Switzerland. It’s the sixth largest city and is a high tech industrial center. However, more people travel back and forth to Zurich by train since its only 19 miles away.
If you want to come to Winterthur for a long period of time, you may want to consider shipping your vehicle over from the United States so you can get around on your own when you want to. In order to import a vehicle, you will need to fill out all the right paperwork and have it turned in within a certain amount of time.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Importing a car to Switzerland.
While filling out the paperwork, you will need to verify that the vehicle you ship over will be used for personal reasons only. There are many documents you will need to copy and show when you apply for an import. Your vehicle cannot violate any laws in Switzerland. In order to make it on schedule, you need to start filling out your application as soon as you know that you are going to import as processing takes a while.
If you want to visit for a short period of time, or if you don’t have time to register your vehicle, then you will need to verify your vehicle when it reaches the border. Any vehicle that comes to the port will need to be tested in detail at the Cantonal Traffic Office. They will test the vehicle before they will release it for you to drive. Switzerland is an environmentally friendly country and they are giving all vehicles an anti-pollution test.
In order to import your vehicle on a temporary basis, you will need to provide proof to the Swiss Customs that you are only there temporarily for a short period of time. If you want to stay longer than your original plans, you will need to import the car to Winterthur. You will need to apply for a license plate while there but you won’t need to pay your customs duties at Zurich. When you are there, your vehicle will be tested for anti-pollution as well as technical testing. You won’t be able to drive your vehicle to Winterthur until this test is complete.
You will then need to pay Swiss Authorities approximately CHF 25 and have a completed Form ready. This form is used for foreign students, interns as well as expatriates who may be using their personal vehicles while in the country. This form is only good for two years. There will not be any duty that needs to be paid in this situation. If you are required to pay duty, you will need to pay a rate of 4% of the total of your car, market value.
You can find all the information on importing on a temporary basis by contacting the Embassy of Switzerland. You can learn more about the duties as well as the rules and regulations of importing. A1 Auto Transport Service can help you every step of the way so you can ship your vehicle overseas and follow all the proper rules and regulations. A1 Auto Transport Service can assist you in deciding which transportation method would be right for you Roll On/ Roll Off or container shipping.
Regulations of Swiss traffic.
When it comes to driving in Switzerland, you will need to know that it is slightly different than driving in the United States. Switzerland is known for having a great public transportation system and their roads are safe to drive throughout. However, it is important that all traffic and other rules are followed. These include:
- You must be eighteen years old or older to drive a car or even a motorcycle.
- If you want to drive a bus, you must be at least twenty one years old.
- You will be able to use your driver’s license from the United States for the first year of being in Winterthur. You will then be able to obtain a Switzerland driver’s license if you plan to stay in Switzerland.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory