Do you want to ship your vehicle to Water Island from the United States?
Shipping A Car To Water Island
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- The majority of cars shipped to Water Island from the United States can be transported for $1,800 to $4,000.
- Because it is an island, costs may be higher during certain times of the year, depending on the availability of transport carriers to the area.
Water Island is the smallest island of the main islands that help make up the US Virgin Islands. The island is approximately 2.5 miles by 1.5 miles, and it boasts a population of less than 200 people. It is most well-known for Honeymoon Beach which is located in Druif Bay. It is primarily residential, with virtually no commercial establishments.
There is no public transportation on the island, due in large part to its small size. The majority of residents get around using either golf carts or personal vehicles. There is no ferry equipped to handle vehicle transport that runs regularly to and from Water Island, so you will want to determine if it is in your best interest to ship your vehicle to Water Island. If you decide that you do want to move forward, it will crucial to obtain the assistance of a reputable auto transport company.
Because Water Island is part of the US Virgin Islands (USVI) and therefore considered US territory, there are fewer hoops to jump through when transporting a vehicle as opposed to shipping overseas internationally. However, it is important to be prepared to supply the proper documentation and pay the appropriate fees to ensure a seamless transition.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Water Island
- Vehicle Title (if vehicle is owned free and clear, otherwise, you must obtain a notarized letter from the lienholder giving you permission to transport the vehicle)
- Driver’s License
- Current Registration
- Bill of Lading (supplied to the auto transport company)
- Commercial Invoice or Bill of Sale, if available (used primarily to determine vehicle’s value)
What to Expect:
- First, you will need to employ the assistance of an auto export/import company to determine the cost of shipping your vehicle. If you can preemptively research and obtain valid US Virgin Islands car insurance, it will be much easier upon arrival.
- Upon arriving at Water Island with your vehicle, you will need to first deal with Customs. If your vehicle was manufactured in the US, you will not need to pay any duty. If it was manufactured elsewhere, you will need to pay duty fees between 3.5% and 6% of the vehicle’s value.
- The next step will be paying road tax at the Internal Revenue Office. The cost is based on the weight of the vehicle and is charged at 16 cents per pound, as determined by the Bill of Lading.
- Your final stop will be the Department of Motored Vehicles (DMV) where you will need to obtain a $5 moving permit in order to transport your vehicle from the port to the DMV for final inspection and registration.
You will have a 90 day grace period upon arrival during which your stateside driver’s license will be considered valid. During that period, you will need to trade in your license for a Virgin Island’s driver’s license in order to continue to drive legally. Remember that you must drive on the LEFT side of the road on Water Island, so be prepared to cautiously approach that transition. Finally, you will find this process infinitesimally easier after contacting a reliable auto transport agency to help you with the move.
Written By:Joe Webster
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.