The capital and the largest city in Libya it is situated at the cusp of the desert and projects into the Mediterranean Sea, forming a large bay. The geographical location makes it perfect for trading and business, making it a hub of commercial activities in Libya.
If you are an expatriate and have a work permit, or are a returning national, you might require having your own personal vehicle in Tripoli. It is easy to import from USA, if you understand the regulations and import guidelines for shipping the vehicle. There are documents to file and custom duties to pay at US port and at Tripoli. Working with an experienced shipper like A1 Auto Transport service is important. We have the experience and dynamic network of transport representatives in other countries that help to streamline the shipping requirements.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Unlike most countries that have stringent shipping regulations, Libya is relatively easy on the laws. However they do have stringent lawns on import of vehicles and it is essential to have the complete documentation to clear Custom department in Libya. Some of the legal documents and proofs that will be scrutinized include:
- International driver’s license.
- Passport of the owner.
- Car title deed.
- Car insurance documents.
- Power of attorney to your representative, if owner cannot be present at US port and Tripoli to receive the car.
Requirement in Libya for importing vehicles.
Just like at the US port, the Customs Department at Libya will scrutinize the documents before clearance is given. We will assist you through the paperwork and can get the details filled out. To know more about the documents that you need, you can contact the Embassy of Libya. Additionally, some of the original documents that need to be submitted for review include:
- Bill of Sale.
- Title and Registration to Vehicle.
- Proof of ownership- passport, driver’s license.
- Import permit from the Libyan government.
- Log book of the car.
- Insurance policy of the car.
While there is specific requirements in Tripoli and all over Libya that need to be adhered to, it includes that no car or vehicle that is over 5 years old can be imported. While the citizens of Libya returning to the country will need to pay only 10% tax, foreign national are required to put a refundable deposit of 25% on the total value of the imported cars. This will be returned when they leave the country.
Ways to shipping cars.
Though there are different ways to ship your car globally, the best methods to ship to Tripoli includes:
- RORO: This is a quick way to ship the car to Tripoli. The car has to be steam-cleaned, stripped of all accessories and personal belongings, while only an extra set of keys, spare tire and jack can be allowed aboard. The vehicle is harnessed to reduce damage and movement during transit. It will be driven off the ship at Tripoli for custom clearance and other procedures.
- Container shipping: The automobile will be harnessed and secured inside an enclosed 20 feet/40 feet container and then loaded onto the ocean vessel. There is room to hold personal and household goods and ship it all together. This is more expensive as it is exclusive space on the freight ship.
Browse for more information and get all the latest updates at Embassy of Libya.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?