Thimphu is both the economic and political capital of the Buddhist kingdom of Bhutan with dominant livestock and agricultural base. With a rugged and mountainous topography, it is scenic with meandering rivers and deep valleys.
Whether you are coming here for an extended visit or have become a citizen, importing your vehicle from USA is a desirable endeavor. Local transportation does not meet all needs as it is quite scarce so having a personal vehicle is extremely useful. There are roads but due to the rugged terrain, roads are rough and steep, so regular vehicle maintenance becomes crucial.
So before you decide to import your car to Thimphu do not forget to consider the unfavorable terrains for car journeys. The roads are not suitable for light, small vehicles, but only heavy duty cars will be able to withstand the wear and tear that it will invariably undergo. Now once you have decided to ship your vehicle to this Himalayan country, take your time to learn the associated rules and regulations.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Regulations for shipping your vehicle to Thimphu.
During shipment, it is important to provide relevant documents to the Bhutan Road Safety and Transport Authority for verification. You will need to meet the required restrictions for the process. These include:
- Presence of import license for vehicle issued by Bhutanese Royal government.
- Used or old vehicles are allowed, only if they are owned by UN or authoritative of diplomatic and international missions.
- Do not forget to produce the vehicle registration and the title.
- You will also need to present a current and validated license, passport, and picture ID car.
- Proof of vehicle insurance and ownership of the vehicle are important as well.
Necessary documentations and restrictions related to import a vehicle to Bhutan may change. So remain abreast with the situation when importing your car from the US. For the current information, you can contact the Bhutanese embassy.
The different methods for shipping the car.
Two main methods are prevalent and you can make your choice based upon the available budget and the feasibility in your case. Bhutan is a landlocked region, thus shipment will be delivered at Kolkata, India and then the vehicle will need to be driven to Thimphu. As the owner, you will have to be there to receive your vehicle besides arranging its pickup. If you use the services of international shipping agents such as A1 Auto Transport service, we can help you through all documentation processes, can help you clear customs and deliver your vehicle to the city of your choice. However, we can assist you through the different procedures and can help with the delivery in Thimphu.
The most common procedures for shipping the vehicle are container shipping and RORO. In the container shipping method your vehicle is secured within 20 feet or 40 feet container that you can share with others or choose one of your own. You can also ship various car accessories and other household goods along with the car in the container. While when you use the Roll-on/Roll-Off method, the car is driven via ramp on the ship and comes down the same way. However, you need to remove air conditioning gas, clean the car and only keep a spare tire, jack and floor mats.
If you need more information about shipping the car to Thimphu, you can contact A1-Auto Transport Company or call in the Embassy of Bhutan.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?