Salonica, Thessaloniki, or Salonika is the second largest of Greek cities. It is also the major political, economic, industrial, and commercial hub besides being the prominent transport center for southeastern European countries. The commercial port of Thessaloniki is strategically important for Greece as well as hinterlands of south-eastern Europe. Although the transportation facilities in Greece are good, it helps to have your own car to commute within the city and in the larger metropolis for business and leisure.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Importing your personal vehicle.
Those who seek permanent residence in Greece can always bring their car to the country as a part of household possessions. You do not have to pay duty for your vehicle, if you have residency permit when entering Greece. So it is a good idea to apply for the permit from the Greek consulate in USA before coming here. However, you are exempt from paying duty only if you are:
- Of Greek descent.
- Married to Greek citizen.
- Possess residency work permit.
Vehicle owners have to pay fees associated with license plate and registration whether you are importing a used or brand-new car to Thessaloniki. Those who bring duty-free vehicles in Greece will not be able to sell it for at least one-year duration without paying the associated taxes. Additionally, there is a limit on the vehicle as only your immediate family members will be able to drive the car around.
What are the document requirements?
Bringing vehicles to Thessaloniki involves loads of paperwork and because it is a part of your household possessions, you will need to show that you have been staying abroad for over 2 years and are returning to Greece. Some of the documents required by the custom officials include:
- W-2 forms/IT returns.
- Rent receipts, property taxes.
- Past employment proof.
- Both valid and expired passports of each family member.
- Work permit/residency permit.
- Greek citizenship proof.
- Insurance proof, driver’s license.
- Vehicle registration documents.
- Bill of Lading.
Important vehicle inspections.
Once the Greek Customs Authority release your car it will have to undergo inspections related to emissions, noise, and a road worthiness checks. However, these processes are made easy when you hire international car shipping service like A1 Auto Transport Company that has over 20 years of experience helping ship vehicles to cities globally. We take care of the customs and the related procedures and can arrange for checks before the vehicle finally arrives.
Now, you can apply for a Greek license plate and registration. However, it is important to note that the cars or other vehicles you bring to Thessaloniki are duty-free only if it is for personal use. You cannot sell, transfer, lease, rent, or upon it in any way.
Shipping methods to consider.
Most of the vehicles are shipped, when you import cars from US ports to Greece, these are the two methods used:
- Roll-On/Roll-Off: You will need to remove air conditioning gas, only keep the jack, spare tire and floor mats when you ship as RORO method. The car will drive up the ramp at the US port and when it reaches Thessaloniki, it will be driven down. This is the cost-effective method.
- Container Shipping: If you are looking for higher safety and secure shipping option, you can ship in 20 feet or 40 feet containers that are locked after your car and other household goods are secured in it. This is more expensive way to ship your car.
You can browse for more information at the Embassy of Greece in USA.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?