When you make plans to ship your car to Surat you will need to know a few things about the country of India as well as about international shipping. Surat is also known as the “city of leftovers” and has a population of nearly 5 million residents. It lays on the beautiful left back of the Tapti River. When you’re preparing to have your car shipped to Surat, there are a few things that have to be taken care of before you can ship your car to Surat including paperwork and documents that are required by Customs to be able to ship your car and other personal items if you need to ship any.
Surat Motor Vehicle Regulations
When planning to have your car shipped to Surat, you need to be aware of the Motor Vehicle Regulations for shipping a car that have been set by the country and know that you will need to abide by them in order to have your car in the country and able to be driven. The following are the basic Motor Vehicle Regulations in Surat:
- Cars must be within 4 years of the date of manufacture
- You must pay duty fees unless you have Diplomatic status and have had the fees exempted by the Indian Ministry of Affairs
- If you have a new car, it must be imported only from the country of origin (i.e. U.S. manufactured vehicles must come from the U.S. straight to Kolkata)
- All imported cars must have the steering wheel on the right.
You will also need to make sure you present to Customs in Surat the following paperwork in order to import your car into the country:
- Car Title and Registration
- Driver’s License from your country of origin
- Bill of Sale
- Paperwork showing that you are the original owner of the vehicle
- Insurance Policy that is valid in India
You can contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency for further information on shipping laws pertaining to the import of cars from the United States.
Before you ship
Before you make arrangements to have your car shipped to Surat, you will need to speak to your transport agent to find out all requirements that are necessary for shipping a car overseas. The agent will go over in detail the different types of shipping available as well as the cost of shipping. You will also need to schedule with the transporter if you need the car to picked up in your location and driven to the port, or picked up when it reaches Surat. Please note that when your car reaches the port in Surat, you will have to be present to claim it. Once it clears customs you may have it delivered if necessary.
Ways to Ship a Car to Surat
When making plans to ship your car to Surat you have several choices on how to get the car delivered to you. You agent will go over the details of each type of shipping and will assist you in deciding the type that is best for your situation. The types of shipping a car overseas to Surat are as follows:
- Ro-Ro Shipping- Ro-Ro Shipping allows cars to be driven directly onto the cargo ship at the port of entry and driven off at the exit port. With Ro-Ro Shipping your car will be secured right on the deck of the ship for easy transport. Ro-Ro Shipping is the easiest and least expensive way to ship a car overseas
- Container Shipping- Container shipping is a very convenient way to ship a car when you need to ship personal items along with your car. Containers are loaded onto a freight ship for the journey overseas and you will need to either pick the car up at the port or make arrangements with your agent to have the car picked up and delivered when it arrives at the port of entry to Surat.
- Air Cargo Shipping- Using Air Cargo Shipping is an excellent choice when you have a luxury or high-value vehicle. Air shipping is the fastest way to ship a car internationally. Your transport agent will help you determine which shipping type is best for your situation.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.