Deliver Your Car Stress Free
- Compare rates for shipping to or from Sri Jayewardenepura Kotte
- Licensed, bonded and insured carriers ready to serve
- RORO, container & air freight transport overseas
- BBB A+ rated award winning service, always on time
- Get an instant quote using our form, or call: 1-800-518-8708
The capital of Sri Lanka, Sri Jayewardenepura Kotte is 5 miles from Colombo, and is the administrative center of the country. If you are a returning citizen, or relocating here due to work, you’ll wish to have the freedom to travel around without restrictions.
That is why it is best to know all about the procedures and legal requirements to import your vehicle from USA. Additionally, hiring the experienced services of global auto shipping company like A1 Auto Transport assures you of safe and hassle-free transit from USA to Sri Lanka.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Procedure for submission of paperwork.
Oftentimes, returning citizens bring over cars to Kotte for their own use and that is why they need our assistance. You need to be aware of the specific laws governing the import of vehicles in Sri Lanka. These include:
- You need to have at least a visa for a six months stay in Sri Lanka.
- Only vehicles that are 3.5 years old or less can be imported.
- Personally imported vehicles can only be used by the shipper and family.
- Only right hand drive cars are allowed.
- one car in 5 years is allowed to be imported.
The import duty varies from 5% to 35% with 12% VAT which are based on the CIF. Additionally, the Ad Valorem tax is 2% to 45%, so you will need to add this to the total cost and budget accordingly.
Additionally, there are plenty of documents to submit, fees to pay and complete the procedures and legal formalities before the Sri Lankan Customs will clear your vehicle and deliver it to you. These are:
- Bill of Lading.
- Permit for import.
- Approvals from Transport ministry.
- Title deed and registration certificate.
- Bill of purchase of vehicle.
- Insurance Certificate.
It is important that the roadworthiness tests are done in advance and the certificates submitted in advance so that there is no delay. Most of the ocean bound cargo reaches the Port of Colombo and Roll-on/Roll-Off is the most common method of shipment. However, before the vehicle is shipped it has to be steam cleaned, air conditioning gas removed and only a quarter tank of fuel can be present in the tank. If you are shipping the car by container measuring 20 or 40 feet, it is important to know that you are allowed to put in your personal items within it while RORO does not permit it.
Guidelines for vehicle import.
It is essential to follow all requirements as per the rules. You are not allowed to take the vehicle outside the country when you are traveling, unless you are re-exporting the vehicle to the country of origin. You are only allowed to drive if the registration documents are in order and the license plates have been bought.
It is essential to read up on the driving rules and regulations in Sri Lanka so that you are always on the right side of the traffic laws. To know more about it, consult the Embassy of Sri Lanka.