Ship Car To Speightstown
Another name for Speightstown in Barbados is Little Bristol, the 2nd largest town center. It is situated 12 or 19 km towards the northern side of Bridgetown, the capital city of Barbados. Additionally, its location is in northern St. Peter parish. Duty charges and taxes associated with vehicle import make it a little expensive proposition, if you are looking to bring your vehicle for a short or long stay. Expenses will depend upon age and value of the vehicle.
It is easy for diplomats as they can import vehicles to Speightstown without restrictions and completely freely. For returning nationals as well, there are no charges on import. The only thing you will need in this case is approval from Ministry of Economic Affairs and Finance. You will have to prove that you have been the owner of this vehicle for 3+ years, along with residential proof of the place. It should show that you had been living here for more than 3+ years as well. You will need to drive down your vehicle to Speightstown from Bridgetown as it is the shipping port where your vehicle will land upon reaching Barbados.
Expected costs and associated documentation needs
When you want to import vehicles to Barbados, you need to abide by certain minor restrictions. These are,
- vehicle age has to be under four years
- odometer should not show anything above 50,000 km
- proof of vehicle ownership
Besides these restrictions, you will need to pay heavy duties and taxation associated with import. Average import duty for vehicles is approximately 45%. Those who want to import used cars have to pay $4000 as environmental levy. For new vehicles, this is $300, VAT is 17.5%. You should be ready to pay for FAS port charges in addition to your overall import costs. Excise tax will depend upon capacity of engine. A car with 1800-cc engine belongs to luxury category. Other considerations include vehicle cost and weight.
- Luxury vehicle having engine capacity of 1800 cc or more with $45,000+ value will be subject to excise tax of 120%.
- In case weight is not more than 5 tons with value higher to $45000, excise tax is approximately 80.16%.
- For cars below $45,000 and weight less than 5 tons, get ready to pay 60.77% in taxes.
- For cars above the 5-ton weight range, 10% excise tax is levied.
When importing your vehicle, it makes sense to work with an experienced international shipping company like A1 Auto Transport service, as we have extensive expertise in helping individuals’ ship vehicles globally. From helping you clear customs to get the delivery of the vehicle in time, we ensure that your car is shipped securely. However, we will need you to provide:
- import permit and license
- logbook, insurance proof
- new vehicle invoice/receipt
Customers can choose any one of the two available shipping methods for vehicle transfers, namely RORO and Container Shipping. Both of these have associated benefits unique to each, cost effective, and safe.
- The container shipping method is more expensive as your vehicle will be transported in an enclosed and sealed 20 feet or 40 feet container. You can put other goods that need to be transported along with the vehicle. It is safer but more expensive than the RORO method.
- The Roll on and Roll Off method states that your vehicle is driven over the ramp into the ship hold. There it is harnessed to lower the chance of damage when the ship moves. As per shipping polices, air conditioning gas and other accessories need to be removed before it is driven on the ship.
As new regulations on importing vehicles maybe applicable, you will need to know more about it at the Embassy of Barbados.