Located in the parish of St. Catherine, in Middlesex County, you will find the largest town, Spanish Town. If you want to move to the area of Mandeville or plan to be there for a while for work or for personal reasons, you may want to import your vehicle so you can travel when you want to.
You can ship your vehicle from the United States to a port of Kingston, the largest port in Jamaica.
Documentation Needed for Importing your Vehicles.
Following the rules and regulations of the Jamaican Customs department, you will need to have these documents available:
- Import license.
- Tax compliance certificate.
- Owner's passport.
- Vehicle title.
- Bill of vehicle purchase.
You can keep the vehicle import process moving on schedule when you follow all procedures including providing the right documentation, paying all taxes, and knowing the rules and regulations. You will need to expect to pay 67% value tax on import duty. If you hire a company like A1 Auto Transport Service, they can negotiate the price for you and oversee the entire import process so everything is on track. If you own a luxury vehicle, you can plan to pay more money.
You will need to follow the rules and regulations of importing to Jamaica in order to avoid any delays.
- Your vehicle can only be imported if it's four years old or less.
- If you are returning to Jamaica after living abroad for over three years, you will be able to import up to two vehicles.
- You can use your driver's license issued from the U.S while driving in Mandeville for up to twelve months of your vehicle being imported. You will then need to get a Jamaican license.
- Your insurance policy needs to cover your vehicle while in Jamaica. Call and get this processed before your import date
- You cannot sell your vehicle for at least twelve months after you have imported it to Jamaica. If it was damaged during or after you had it shipped, you cannot sell it for three years.
A1 Auto Transport Service will be able to help you with any questions or procedures you may not understand about importing. Additionally, you can contact the Jamaican Consulate in U.S to get further updates on the current laws. Of the two methods of shipment, the most popular way is RORO or Roll-on/Roll-Off which allows your vehicle to be driven on board the ship and then driven off in Jamaica. The other method is container shipment where your personal items and vehicle is sealed within 20 feet or 40 feet containers. However, you can only send an empty vehicle which does not contain any air conditioning gas. Additionally, it has to be steam cleaned before the shipment.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.