Deliver Your Car Stress Free
- Compare rates for shipping to or from Sohar
- Licensed, bonded and insured carriers ready to serve
- RORO, container & air freight transport overseas
- BBB A+ rated award winning service, always on time
- Get an instant quote using our form, or call: 1-800-518-8708
Sohar is currently the capital as well as the largest city in of Al Batinah North Governorate in the Sultanate of Oman. It used to be of great importance, serving as an Islamic port town. If you are planning to relocate to this city, you should be informed that having a personal vehicle is incredibly advantageous. The main reason for this is because there isn’t a reliable public transport service, except maybe cab drivers.
The process of importing a car to Oman from the USA isn’t as daunting as it may seem, especially if you can rely on a professional shipping agent like the A1 Auto Transport. Under the Omani regulations all foreigners as well as expatriates are fully allowed to import vehicles both on permanent or temporary basis as per their needs.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Foreigners are allowed to import a vehicle on a conditional as well as temporary basis. The admission is granted if you comply with the following requirements:
- If you’ve secured the car with an international passage register, you’re allowed to import it for 6 months.
- If you haven’t secured it then you’re only allowed to import it for 3 months. However, if you deposit an amount or provide an insurance which is at least equal to the taxes and fees of the customs, you can extend the period with another 3 months.
- The owner has to be in good standing with the officials of the customs.
- Actual registration.
- Insurance Policy which is comprehensive and issued by an Oman insurance company.
- International Passage Register/import permit required for a 6 month permit.
- A Driver’s License.
- Passport of the owner.
- Bill of Lading.
If you happen to be studying in Oman, you would be allowed to renew the temporary status of your vehicle as long as you are capable of securing an International Passage Register. Of course, as an individual who is importing a car into the country, you would be required to pay the regular taxes, duties and fees at the customs. However, it is highly advisable for you to contact the Customs Department of Oman in order to figure out everything there is you need to know.
At the same time, you should be informed that there are two possible shipping methods for you to choose from. The first one is RORO, or as it is also known – Roll-on/Roll-off. The other one is more secure and thus more expensive – that’s the container shipping. If you want to ensure that there are no delays with the entire process, get your vehicle steam cleaned. You would also have to remove all accessories as well as the air conditioning gas, provided you choose the RORO method. Nevertheless, if you want to send in other valuable goods with the car to Oman, you should go for the container shipping. The Oman Embassy in USA is going to provide you with all the up to date information you need.