Sarh is a former French colonial town, and it is the capital of the Region of Moyen-Chari in Chad in Central Africa. It has its location on the banks of the Chari River and it is approximately 350 miles from N'Djamena. If you are moving here, it is best to bring along your vehicle.
If you want to import your vehicle in the country, having a 4-wheel drive is something that you might want to consider because of the poor road conditions in the country. You need to get your passport, driver’s license, registration documents with you when you drive, because the police can actually request them if you get pulled over. This is because of the bandit check-ups on the highways.
Motor vehicle regulations.
In order to get your vehicle imported to Chad, you need to take the following regulations in a proper consideration. They include:
- Vehicles which are older than 3 years aren’t permitted.
- Only new vehicles need to show the duty base of the vehicle.
- The import tax is about 60% of the value of the vehicle based on criteria of engine capacity, weight, model and make of the car.
As it is regulated and required by the Chad Customs and Excise Authority, you need to provide a few documents in originals. Apart from the bill of sale, number of chassis and engine, cubic capacity and the manufacturing year, you’d also need to provide the following documents:
- Original receipt of purchase.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Bill of Lading.
- Title as well as registration.
- Social security number.
- Import license if your vehicle is new.
- Power of attorney if you aren’t able to pick up your vehicle in person.
Shipping methods and applicable taxes.
The final quote that you would need to pay is going to be determined by weighing in different factors such as the size of your vehicle, model, make, year of manufacture, cubic capacity and size. What is more, you would need to also consider the shipping method in order to get the final quote. You have two options in front of you:
- Ro-Ro shipping – this method is particularly convenient if you are only looking to ship your vehicle with no personal belongings because they are not allowed. However, this is the quickest and the fastest water based transportation method and it’s definitely convenient.
- Container shipping – when it comes to container shipping, on the other hand, you’d have to consider the fact that you will be able to enjoy that extra layer of protection ensured by the container. You can also ship as many personal belongings as you want with it. That’s why it’s more expensive and slower because of the additional check-ups which are instituted on the containers.
At A1 Auto Transport service, we’d like to extend all possible assistance to ensure that your vehicle is easily delivered in Sarh. Our local agents will be with you through all procedures at the customs and will be of assistance. Call us today to get more details about the prices and procedures.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.