Salalah is the seat of the governor in the province of Dhofar and is the second largest city in Oman. It is home to the largest port in the Arabian Peninsula, the Port of Salalah and is a hub of container shipping. It connects the trade between Middle East, Africa and Asia. As the city does not have a very reliable public transport except taxis it is essential that if you are planning to move here, having your personal vehicle will be an asset.
Even if it seems daunting to import the car to Oman from USA, it isn’t as complex as it looks, especially when you have an experienced international shipping service like A1 Auto Transport service to assist you. The import regulations in Oman allow foreigners and expatriates to import vehicles on a temporary or permanent basis as needed.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Temporary import of cars.
There are specific regulations of Oman’s Ministry of Transport and Communications for temporary import of vehicles. Some of these include:
- You get to import it for 6 months when the international passage register has secured the vehicle.
- Without that registration, you can import it for 3months and if you can put a deposit or have insurance amounting to the custom duties and taxes, it is extendable for another 3 months.
- Additionally, you need to have verifiable status and good standing with the Customs department.
Other documentation that is necessary includes:
- Current Driver’s License.
- Clear title deed.
- International Passage Register.
- Car insurance policy from Oman insurance service.
International Passage Register is an important component of deciding the tenure of the vehicle in the city of Salalah. As s student, if you can secure it, you can keep the temporary status on the vehicle. It is best to know more about the rules and regulations of the Oman Customs Department before you get your vehicle shipped. There are number of taxes and levies that are applicable when your vehicle enters Oman.
Additionally, there are two methods of importing your vehicle to Oman. The first is RORO or Roll-on/Roll-Off shipping and the other is more expensive yet secure, container shipping method. To make sure that there are no delays in delivery at Salalah, get the car steam cleaned before shipping. You will need to strip the car of all accessories and remove the air conditioning gas when you are shipping it by RORO freight. However, if you want to send over more goods, along with the vehicle, using this method may be the better option. To get the latest information on the regulations of importing vehicles to Oman, connect with the Oman Embassy in USA.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?