Punkaha is known to be the administrative center of Punakha dzongkhag which is one of the districts in the country of Bhutan. It was the capital back in 1955 but since then it has been moved to Thimphu. It is located about 72 kilometers away from the capital which should take you about 3 hours by car.
Importing a personal vehicle is always advantageous, regardless of the period of the stay. With unreliable public transportation having a personal vehicle is going to facilitate the transport greatly.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Traveling through Bhutan.
The roads are steep and rough even though they are stretched across the entire country. It is crucial to have a regular maintenance of your personal vehicle in Bhutan and this is why they lack proper public transport. When shipping a car into Bhutan, you would have to take into account the location of Bhutan which is not as favorable. The unpaved roads are going to make it difficult for smaller vehicles to move across. The car should be durable enough to maintain while traveling through the country.
There are required documents that you have to present when shipping a vehicle to Punkaha. Some pertinent documents which are needed by the Customs department in Bhutan as well as the U.S Customs include:
- Vehicles might demand a license of import which is issued by the Royal Government of Bhutan.
- Used vehicles are only allowed for use by Foreign Diplomatic Missions and International Organizations.
- Vehicle and title registration is needed.
- License, passport, picture I.D is required.
- Ownership and insurance proof.
The restrictions and require documentations change occasionally so make sure to contact the Embassy of Bhutan for the current information.
RO/RO Shipping vs. Container shipping.
There are two commonly used shipping methods which are used for transporting a vehicle in Bhutan. However, make sure to keep in mind that it’s a land-locked country. This means that you would have to ship it to the nearest port in India and make arrangements for in-land transportation.
- RO/RO shipping is the cheapest of both methods. It would require you to drive the vehicle onto a deck of the carrier ship and then off when you reach the destination. The car has to be perfectly empty and only with floor mats, spare tires and car jack.
- Container shipping on the other hand allows you to ship other personal belongings as well. The vehicle is going to be stored within a container and both the container and the vehicle can be filled with your items. The container can also be shared with a third party that would allow you to reduce the overall cost.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?