When you need to have your car shipped to Puente Alto you will need to obtain the services of a professional auto shipper who ships to Chilean sea ports. The agent with the transport company will discuss available shipping options as well as pricing and information that you will need to provide. Primarily the documents that you will need are as follows:
- Driver’s License
- Social Security Number
- Car Title
- Insurance Certificate
- Power of Attorney
Motor Vehicle Regulations in Puente Alto, Chile
When shipping a car internationally to Puente Alto, you will have to abide by many regulations set forth by customs officials in Chile. Some of those regulations are as follows:
- Physical presence of owner including diplomats is required for clearance.
- Foreigners can only import a vehicle that is new.
- Businesses can import new large trucks.
- Foreign diplomats are exempt from paying duties and taxes on new vehicles.
- Chilean diplomats can no longer import a vehicle under their exemption status.
- Returning Chileans who have been out of the country over 12 months can import one new or used car or small truck but are subject to pay tax and duties.
- The weight of vehicle must be on the Bill of Lading along with vehicle description.
- An international driver's license must be obtained in the United States prior to importation of vehicle to Santiago
- All vehicles must pay 6% duty and taxes at19% of CIF.(Cost, Insurance, Freight)
You will also need to make sure you have specific legal documents and paperwork pertaining to your car when importing.
- Certificate of Title and Registration – for both new or used vehicles
- Original Bill of Lading or Airway Bill
- Commercial Invoice or proof of purchase – only applies to new vehicles
- Declaration - for used vehicles; sworn notarized statement, list value and all technical items included on vehicle
- Insurance Certificate – Must state amount of premium paid
You can also gather valuable information on export regulations in the United States as well as import laws internationally by contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency.
Prior to having your car shipped to Puente Alto, you need to receive a finalized expenditure quote from the transport agent that will detail all expenses for shipping including the method being used, pick-up or delivery if needed, and all other shipping fees associated with international car shipping to Puente Alto. You will be given a choice of three methods of shipping overseas to Puente Alto. Ro-Ro shipping will typically be the first choice given. Ro-Ro is the simplest way to ship a car overseas as well as the quickest way by sea. You cannot ship personal items when you ship by Ro-Ro. If you need to ship personal items you can use Container Shipping to ship your car. The fastest way to ship a car to Puente Alto is by Air Shipping.
For more valuable information on international shipping, you can also check with the Federal Maritime Commission for overseas shipping policies from the United States to Puente Alto, Chile.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.