Porto-Novo is the capital of Benin and is a large port at the start of the Gulf of Guinea. It is the second largest city and one of the populated regions of the country.
Though the infrastructure and roads are not the best, as you might be used to in USA, they are drivable and that is why it helps to have your vehicle with you when you move here. It is essential to drive carefully as the traffic rules are lax and many roads are unpaved.
However moving your vehicle here requires following rules and staying within the limitations. You are required to file the requisite documents so that there is no delay in shipping and clearances by the Benin Customs Department. To ensure that your vehicle meets the required eligibility criteria, it is best to hire the services of A1 Auto Transport service as we have shipped vehicles here in the past and understand the regulations apart from being with you at every step.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Motor vehicle regulations.
There are some specific requirements in Benin that have to be adhered to. Make sure that you discuss the details with the shipping service, including:
- All imported vehicles are taxed including new and old cars and other vehicles. The applicable tax is calculated on the basis of the car’s value.
- Purchase invoice of the car with all details mentioned – weight, length, engine and chassis number, VIN, make and model.
- Only one car can be imported per individual.
As per motor vehicle regulations in Benin, submission of the right documents is pre-requisite for quick clearances and legality of importing the vehicle. These include:
- Owner Signed Non-Sale Certificate.
- Title deed.
- Registration documents.
- S vehicle insurance proof.
- Bill of purchase of vehicle.
- Ocean Bill of Lading.
- Freight invoice for shipping.
It is best to contact the Embassy of Benin in USA to know more about the documents and details needed for a faster access and clearances in Porto-Novo. It is essential that you select the method of shipment before the final quote can be provided. Both U.S Customs and Border Protection and Benin Customs require submission of the documents pertaining to the import at least 72 hours before the vehicle ships out/arrives at the port.
Methods to ship.
Additionally, it is best that you get the vehicle cleaned, empty out the air conditioning gas and leave only a little fuel in the tank. If you intend shipping by Roll-On/Roll-Off method then, you will need to leave the floor mats, spare tire and an extra set of keys within the vehicle. You are not allowed to keep anything inside the vehicle.
And if you are going to opt for Container shipping, you need to know that the cost will be more than RORO. It is good if you have an expensive vehicle to ship or other household goods that have to be moved to Benin. Everything is packed within the container and then shipped. It offers higher safety.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?