Headquarter of the Kaski District in Nepal, Pokhara is the second largest city and has some of the most panoramic views of the mighty Himalayas. It is about 200 km from Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal. For years it was inaccessible by road and only in 1968 that roads connected the city with the rest of the nation. It is one of the most prominent tourist destinations in the country and well laid road networks are now accessible. That is why if you are planning to move to Nepal on a short or long-term basis, you will need to have your own vehicle for faster commuting within the city and rest of Nepal.
Most people believe that it is a cumbersome process to get the vehicle shipped overseas but the fact is that if you have an experienced international shipping service such as our A1 Auto Transport service, there is nothing to fret about. We have over 20 years of experience in shipping vehicles to different countries all around the world. Thus, contact us, if you need to get your car shipped to Pokhara.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Key considerations for import to Nepal.
As per Nepal Customs, it is important to know that you are not allowed to import vehicles that are over 5 years old and each vehicle needs to adhere to the Nepal Vehicle Mass Emission Standard, which was passed in1999. However, if you intend importing the vehicle on a short term basis which is for less than 6 months, you can import it without paying the mandatory custom duties and taxes. Rules keep changing and it is important to check the website of Nepal Custom department before you plan on shipping the car. As Nepal is a landlocked country with mountainous terrain, the closest port of entry is Kolkata in India.
Additionally, there are many documents that you need to submit at the US port before the vehicle can be shipped and at the border in Nepal. These include:
- Purchase invoice.
- Documents/invoice with details on the chassis number, engine details, model number.
- Current title deed and registration documents.
- Insurance policy.
- Proof of ownership.
The Nepali customs levy custom duties amounting to a percentage of the aggregate of market value of the car, insurance and other freight charges. Plus, there is a 13% VAT on all imports that have to be paid before the car is handed over to the owner. The diplomats and other VIPs are above the custom duties and can import the vehicles without paying these taxes and levies. And if you are importing the vehicle on a short term basis which is less than 6 months, you can avoid paying these duties.
It is good to browse the website of Embassy of Nepal to get the latest information on the current laws governing vehicle imports for tourists, foreign students and expatriates.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?