The bustling city of Omdurman in Sudan is the largest in the country. It is located on the banks of the river Nile which is opposite the city of Khartoum. The country differ greatly from USA, especially the cultural and economic conditions are concerned.
Most people come to U.S to work within the oil industry. If you intend relocating to Omdurman, for an extended stay or on a long term basis, importing your vehicle from USA will help you commute safely and negate your dependability on taxis and public transport. Although the condition of the roads isn’t good, but in the last few years the situation has improved.
Requirements to import.
There are special considerations that need to be adhered to if you are looking for tax exemptions especially, if you are a citizen of Sudan or have been working after a few years. The requirements as per Custom Authority in Sudan are:
- You will need to show proof of staying abroad for a minimum of 3 years.
- Owner needs to be present at Port in Sudan when the vehicle reaches there.
- Original title deed and registration in owner’s name.
- Exit documents from country of origin.
- Vehicle needs to be 5 years old or less to be imported to Sudan.
- Receipt of all taxes paid in Sudan.
- Sudanese work/residence visa.
- Need authorized import permit and bring the vehicle within 6 months of validity.
Documentation for valid import of vehicle.
To ensure that there is validity on the import, you are required to submit a lot of documents which includes, but is not limited to:
- Registration documents pertaining to the imported vehicle.
- Original bill of purchase- details of year, make, VIN, chassis number.
- Valuation of the vehicle report.
- Proof of current insurance.
- Visas for work/residence.
It is essential to get a free quote on your import and that is why you need to discuss the details about the import duties, taxes and the shipment options. As the port in Sudan accepts both RORO and container shipping, you have the option of shipping your vehicle accordingly. In RORO shipping the vehicle is driven on the ship deck, secured in the allocated parking bay and is driven off the ship when it reaches the port in Sudan. This is the cheapest option available. But you need to consider the limitations that include:
- steam cleaning the car before shipping it out.
- removing air conditioning gas.
- leaving just a little fuel in the tank.
- disable all alarms.
- Vehicle has to be in an operable state.
The other option is container shipping where you need to hire spacious containers to pack your vehicle and are allowed to ship your personal items alongside. Usually, these containers measure twenty feet in length or forty feet, giving you ample space to share with someone else or just to pack your own vehicle and household goods that need to be moved to Omdurman.
If you need more information related to the current laws and regulations dealing with import of vehicles to Sudan, call the Embassy of Sudan and they will be able to assist you.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.