Negombo is a major city and is located on the west coast of Sri Lanka, at the base of the Negombo Lagoon. It is considered to be the largest city in the district of Gampaha.
It is considered the fourth largest city in the entire country after Jaffna, Colombo, and Kandy. Negombo is well known for its fishing industry and markets which display on the sandy beaches.
If you want to stay in Negombo for a while, or if you are returning to Negombo from living abroad for a while, you will need your personal vehicle to get around. You can ship your car to Colombo for pick up but you will need a transport service like A1 Auto Transport Service to assist you in this mission.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
A1 Auto Transport Service can assist you in meeting the requirements necessary to transport your vehicle to Negombo without any delays. You will need the correct paperwork in order to import your vehicle as per Sri Lanka Customs Department. It may seem like a lot but it is necessary in order to be able to drive while you are visiting or living in Sri Lanka. The documents required are:
- That you have at least a six month resident visa.
- The vehicle will only be driven by the owner and the owner’s family.
- The vehicle is less than 3 ½ years old .
- The vehicle owner is the one driving the vehicle.
- The steering mechanism is located on the right hand side of the vehicle.
- A vehicle can only be imported for a maximum of five years.
Preparing for your Import.
You will need to provide proof of ownership from the port officials when you pick up your vehicle. Have your passport, driver’s license, vehicle registration, as well as all the visa details and proof of residence in Sri Lanka. This documentation should include your arrival and departure date as well as your reason for visiting. You will need to check with the Sri Lanka Embassy in the U.S. to determine what you need in order to follow transport procedures.
Shipping Methods to Choose From.
When choosing how to get your vehicle to the port, you will have two shipping methods to choose from; Roll On/ Roll Off and container shipping. The Roll On/Roll Off method involves the vehicle being driven onto the ship and secured as it makes the trip to Colombo. The vehicle will be placed on the ship’s deck where nothing will be allowed in the car but a quarter of a tank of gas and all the air conditioning gases removed. If you choose container shipping, you will be able to load your vehicle along with your personal belongings into a 20 or 40 foot container. The car will be secured into a container aboard the ship.
Guidelines to Ship to Sri Lanka.
You need to be aware of some rules and requirements for shipping your vehicle to Sri Lanka:
- You cannot have a mortgage or associated lease agreement.
- The vehicle you import can only have the steering wheel on the right hand side.
- You cannot drive your vehicle outside of Sri Lanka.
- Your vehicle must be properly registered.
- You have two weeks to register your vehicle.
- You cannot buy your vehicle there with your own funds.
- Your vehicle must be drivable upon departure.
It’s always a good idea to look up the rules and regulations before you begin the process of importing your vehicle. Always pay your duties and taxes associated with importing.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory