You’ve just relocated to beautiful Nantes, France, known as the most livable city in all of Europe, and as you realize how utterly expensive hiring a taxi or rental car can be for daily travel, you decide that you need your own personal car to be imported to the city. Driving your own car makes travel so much easier, as well as less expensive, than when you have to rely on others to drive for you. Hiring a reputable auto shipping company is the first step towards having your personal car in Nantes with you. If you will need someone to deliver your car to the shipping port in the United States for you that will be no problem at all. Your shipping agent will be able to have that taken care of for you. You will need to provide some important paperwork to the agent prior to having your car shipped, as well as pay some fees upfront. The paperwork needed will be:
- Driver’s License (Photo I.D.)
- Social Security Number (Card)
- Original Car Title
- Power of Attorney Form (signed)
- Car Insurance Certificate
The auto transport company will typically have international shipping insurance included in the total cost of shipping, but if it is not you will need to purchase an international policy through your current auto insurance provider, or request information from the agent who handles your shipment processing and they will be able to provide you with the information needed for insurance and any other shipping questions you may have.
One of the biggest questions asked about international shipping is “What will customs require to import my car?” Customs requirements vary from one country to another, but Nantes has some of the more lenient customs requirements. You will, of course, need to provide Customs with a copy of your photo identification, your bill of sale, proof of residency, original vehicle title and registration, and the Conformity Certificate provided by your car manufacturer. They will also require that the car is less than four years and six months old in order to allow it to be imported and the engine will need to meet French auto specifications. If your car will need to have anything modified prior to shipping to fit the specification criteria for Nantes, France, your shipping agent will discuss that with you. All cars imported to Nantes must be right side driving cars (steering wheel on the left side). Once your car has been cleared with the customs agent when it arrives in Nantes, you will have up to four months to register your car and obtain French Domestic License Plates for the car. Failure to do so can result in your car being taken to an impound lot and held until the registration has been completed and the impound fines have been paid in full.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Paperwork is Out of the Way. How Can I Ship the Car?
Once you have taken care of obtaining all of the necessary paperwork you will need to decide on the type of shipping you prefer to have your car shipped. With a shipping canal that runs directly into Nantes from the sea, as well as a large airport that provides cargo service, you have several options to choose from. Here are the ways you can ship your car to Nantes:
- RoRo Shipping– When you use RoRo Shipping your car will be driven onto the carrier ship and secured into place for the overseas journey. When it arrives at the port of entry it will be driven off the ship. You cannot load any personal items into the car for RoRo Shipping. RoRo Shipping is the most preferred way to ship a car internationally and is the most financially efficient way to ship a car to Nantes.
- Container Shipping– Shipping your car in a container is the best way to go when you have personal items that need to be shipped with your car. While it will cost a little more because you have to pay the container fee, it allows you to relocate easily and have your personal possessions with you.
- Air Shipping– When you need your car fast, Air Shipping is the way to go. When you ship by air you can have your car delivered much faster than when you ship by sea. You can also send personal items when you ship by air cargo. Air Shipping is the fastest way to have your car delivered to you in Nantes. You’ll be able to pick it up at the Nantes Atlantique Airport and be on your way as soon as customs have given it clearance.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?