Moundou is the second biggest town in Chad and is also the capital of the Logone Occidental region. The city is on the Mbere River which is around 475 kilometers south of the capital city. It’s the main city for the Ngambai people and it has grown to be an industrial center. If you are moving here, having your vehicle to travel can be an asset as the public transportation cannot be relied upon.
It is also important to understand the weather conditions when thinking about relocating. It has a tropical climate throughout the year but delays can happen during the rainy season. It is important to keep your driving license, passport, along with the registration of the vehicle in your car. This is due to the fact that you might need to show it to the police for security reasons.
Regulations for import.
You are going to need to know the stringent Chad Customs and Excise laws prior to shipping your vehicle there. There are strict laws which concern this particular area. There are also strict regulations for the actual shipping of the vehicle:
- It has to be new or less than three years old.
- New vehicles are also taxed. You will need to show that you actually own the vehicle that you are shipping to Chad.
- The used vehicles don’t have to show duty base.
- The import taxes depend on a lot of different vehicular factors but they could go as high as sixty percent of the evaluated worth of the car.
You are going to have to provide the original purchase receipt and it should include the engine number, VIN, cubic capacity, chassis ID, model, manufacture and year of production. Other paperwork includes:
- Social Security Number.
- Purchase invoice.
- Original registration and title.
- Driver’s License that’s valid.
- Non-sale certificate indicating that you won’t make a sale.
- License to import new vehicles.
Costing the freight shipment.
The ultimate cost that you need to budget for depends on the weight of the vehicle, distance to the U.S port, the method of shipping that you choose and other factors. You are going to have to consider other conditions as well such as delivery. There are two main types of transportation methods for international vehicle shipping:
- Ro-Ro (Roll On/Roll Off) - Vehicles are directly driven on the vessel at the point of the origin in USA and driven off the ship at the destination point. This is the affordable and commonly used option. With over 50 ports near Chad, you can choose the most convenient. Talk with the shipping service such as A1 Auto Transport service to get the best information.
- Container shipping - Your vehicle is secured within a container and then on the board of a carrier ship from the States to the destination point in Chad that you choose. This is more expensive but it offers a lot of stability and adds more value if you need to transport other luggage with the car. You would be able to choose between a container of 20ft and 40 ft. depending on your needs.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.