Mons is a city and municipality in Belgium and it is the capital of the Province of Hainaut.
If you are traveling to Mons for a short term vacation or for business, you will want to have the convenience of traveling in your own vehicle. You can import your vehicle from within the European Union, which is due to the common trade agreements and it is less regulated as well as importing when compared to importing from the United States.
Importing a Vehicle from the United States.
Belgium has strict rules and regulations for importing a vehicle from the United States or any country not in the European Union. It is not an impossible task to accomplish however, it may take a little longer to complete due to the environmental clearances that are necessary. If you want to import your vehicle for a personal way of getting around, then you can use it as part of your moving process and it is considered a household good and you will not need to pay VAT and other duties for importing. If you claim your vehicle under household goods, you must:
- Have lived outside of Belgium or the European Union for a period of one year or more before you are importing it back.
- Have purchased the vehicle in the United States and have owned it for a minimum of six months prior to importing it.
- Have paid the VAT/equal amount of tax prior to importing it to Brussels.
- Intend on using the car and keeping the car for at least one year after importing it to Brussels.
These conditions and a few others must be adhered to when considering importing your vehicle. This is why you need an experienced shipping agent, such as A1 Auto Transport Service to assist in transporting. We know the rules and regulations and will help you to follow them in order to successfully transport your vehicle over to Mons and will contact the Belgium Consulate to seek further information if needed.
Belgian authorities require a long list of paperwork in order to successfully process your request to import. Some of the most important documents needed include:
- Bill of sale.
- Title to the vehicle.
- Proof/receipt that the VAT duties and other taxes have been paid.
- Letter of exemption from paying taxes, if applicable.
- Insurance documentation good for six months.
- Proof of residency outside of the European Union.
- Bill of Lading.
If your vehicle doesn’t meet the requirement of import duty, you will need to pay the requisite custom duties, levies, and the VAT, which all depends on the current value of the vehicle. Once the vehicle reaches the port, it will need to be registered in Mons with the Belgian Transport Services within the first six months.
Details on shipment.
To get a final quote on your shipping requirements, you will need to select one of the two shipping methods offered by sea to Brussels. The options are Roll On/ Roll Off or container shipping.
Roll On/Roll Off (RORO) is the most commonly selected method of shipping. The vehicle will only be allowed to possess an extra set of keys, a spare tire, and a car jack. The vehicle will be driven onto the deck of the ship and harnessed in order to prevent movement of the vehicle while in transit. Once it reaches Brussels, the vehicle will be driven off the ship.
Container shipping is another method of shipping that offers more security and allows personal household items to be shipped over at the same time and in the same container. You will select either a 20-foot container or a 40-foot container that is sealed once it is loaded at the port in the U.S and then opened for customs clarification in Brussels.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory