The largest city in San Fernando, Mon Repos is at an altitude of 37 meters above sea level. It is a popular tourist destination and with coves and amazing beaches, there is a chance that you might want to retire here or at least stay on an extended basis.
However, the fact is that with poor public transport facilities and most of the roads unpaved, having your own vehicle is the best.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Importing the car to Mon Repos.
For both foreigners and returning citizens, the process of importing a car has been made easy by the Trinidad authorities. The procedure starts by looking up the information on shipping cars from USA. It is important to notify the U.S Customs and Border Protection at least 72 hours before the vehicle has to be shipped. When A1 Auto Transport is on the job, they ensure that everything moves as per schedule as they are conversant with the laws and regulations. With over two decades in the industry, and having shipped vehicles worldwide, they understand all about the laws in Trinidad and Tobago.
After the application to gain the import license is submitted in Trinidad, you are only required to submit the car documents and proof of ownership. If you are a returning citizen, you might have to submit lesser amount of documents. However, these are required:
- Residence permit/work visa.
- Passport and driving license.
- Inventory of the vehicle (if container shipped)
- Title deed.
- Import license.
- Proof of stay abroad.
- Bill of Sale.
These documents have to be submitted when the vehicles leaves the U.S port and in Trinidad before it is offloaded at the Port of Spain.
Particular requirements for vehicle import to Trinidad.
There are some eligibility criteria that have to be fulfilled before you can ship to Trinidad. This includes showing proof of ownership for at least 6 months in USA before you intend shipping it. Yu need to pay all of the import duties, taxes and have to be there when the shipment arrives. You are bound by Trinidad laws to retain the vehicle for a minimum period of 2 years after importing it, before you are eligible to sell it. If you are looking or tax exemptions as a returning citizen it is necessary to have lived abroad for at least 5 years and need to show the proof. There are other criteria and specifications that have to be met as per the Customs and Excise Department of the Government of Trinidad, including:
- The vehicle has to be imported within 60 days of your arrival in Mon Repos.
- It is essential that the owner takes the delivery of the vehicle.
- All container shipment has to be extensively inspected before it is cleared by the Customs.
- The taxes and import duty will depend upon whether you are a citizen of Trinidad or a foreign national.
As delays can happen, it is best to start planning on importing your vehicle when you move. There are plenty of documents and paperwork along with permits that can be required. Thus, talk with A1 Auto Transport Company to know more about it. It helps to know about the methods of shipping as that will directly affect the price of import of vehicle. You have the option of choosing Container shipping where you vehicle is secured inside spacious containers and you are allowed to ship your personal belongings. The other method is Roll on/Roll Off.
Here your vehicle has to be shipped empty, devoid of any personal items. It is parked in one of the bays on the ship’s deck and then driven off at the Trinidad port. This is the cheapest method and one of the most commonly used method.
For the latest information about the changes in laws and regulations or to clarify your doubts, contact the Embassy of Trinidad and Tobago today.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?