Situated in Mbarara District, the city of Mbarara is one of the highly populated areas. It is the administrative and commercial center of the western Uganda. There may be plenty of reasons to move to Mbarara and if you intend doing that or are already living there, you understand how convenient it would be to have your own vehicle with you.
With faster development and increased need for better transportation, most people need a vehicle in Uganda and that is why they prefer importing new and used vehicles as compared to buying locally. This is one of the reasons that there are relaxed rules about vehicle imports. Though the rules are flexible, there are still regulations to deal with. It is important to note that:
- No age limit on imported vehicles.
- Right and left hand driven vehicles allowed.
Although most of the vehicles are imported from Japan, but those are for commercial consumption. The regulations and laws for international import remain the same. Though new and used cars are both bought and sold, older cars need higher scrutiny. That is why pre-inspections are needed before the vehicle is shipped out of USA.
The vehicle that has to be imported to Uganda needs to be given clearance certificate on emission standards and roadworthiness. This ensures that the odometer reading is correct and that the vehicle is in good condition to ply on roads in Mbarara.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Submitting pertinent documents.
You are required by law to submit a host of documents that need to meet the requirement of the Uganda Revenue Authority and the U.S Customs. Both the Customs departments’ need a set of documents submitted at least a week before the vehicle is exported/imported.
- Bill of Lading.
- Export/import inventory.
- Title deed of the car.
- Purchase invoice of the car.
- Registration documents and owner’s passport.
- Logbook of the vehicle.
Taxation of imported vehicles.
Based on the evaluated value of the vehicle and the related fright charges, the General Agreement on Trade and Tariffs (GATT) method has been applied. With the result, the import duty has been fixed at 15%, Vat at 17%, 2% import commission and a 6% tax on withholding of the vehicle. Additionally, based on the other valuation procedures, there is a 10% custom duty.
The vehicle will be transported to the nearest port to Uganda that includes Kenyan port of Mombasa and the Dar-Es-Salaam in Tanzania. You will need to arrange for land transportation to Mbarara. However, when you work with an international auto shipping service, they can arrange for the logistics with ease.
In case you are confused or need more clarity about the inspections or current updates on import laws, please connect with Embassy of Uganda in USA.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory