The largest town in Manchester parish, Mandeville is a beautiful coastal town in Jamaica. As one of the most populated cities, it is popular with tourists all year round.
If you intend spending more time in Mandeville or be here on an extended stay for work or personal reasons, it makes sense to import your vehicle and enjoy the freedom to travel. Your vehicle will be shipped out from the nearest port to your location in USA and it will be offloaded at the Port of Kingston, which is the largest port in Jamaica.
Essential documents for importing vehicles.
As per the regulations of Jamaican Customs department, it requires that you submit several documents to verify and complete the legal formalities. These documents are:
- Owner’s passport.
- Import license.
- Vehicle title.
- Bill of vehicle purchase.
- Tax compliance certificate.
When all of the procedures are followed, not only will the shipment be faster but custom clearances are done smoothly without any delays. Additionally, you need to be prepared to pay up to 67% of the evaluated value of the vehicle as import duty. Although a1 Auto Transport service will try to help you negotiate it to the most affordable price, but that is the standard payment on imported vehicles. The import duty increases if the size of vehicle is more and so if it is a luxury vehicle, you might have to pay more.
Additional auto import specifications.
There are some procedures and eligibility criteria that have to be considered to ensure that your vehicle is imported with ease. These include:
- It is important to remember that you can only import your vehicle if it is less than 4 years old.
- If you are a returning Jamaican citizen and have been away for over three years, you are allowed to import two vehicles. But documentation has to be in order.
- You are allowed to use the U.S issued driving license in Mandeville for 12 months after the vehicle import. After that you will need to get the local Jamaican license to drive.
- You will need to buy insurance policy on your vehicle in Jamaica else the customs officials will not clear the vehicle. It is best to arrange it in advance.
- You are not allowed to sell your imported vehicle for at least 12 months after the import. If it got damaged during/after shipping, you cannot sell it for 3 years.
Additionally, before the vehicle is shipped out of USA, talk with A1 Auto Transport Company to apply for the tax registration number as it is vital to have this number before you can import anything. It can be applied at the Jamaican Tax Administration.
If you are looking for the most affordable way to ship it, choose Roll On/Roll off shipping. The vehicle is driven on the ship, secured and at the Port of Kingston, it is driven off. But you will need to ship a clean and empty vehicle only. If you choose container shipping, the vehicle is sealed inside the large container to protect it from damage.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.