Domestic USA & International Auto Shipping
- Quote Calculator
Ship Your Car To Or From Malindi, Kenya
The Kenyan town of Malindi, is located at the mouth of the Galana River on the Malindi Bay. It is is a beautiful town on the Kenyan coast on the Indian Ocean. It is approximately 120 km just northeast of Mombasa and is the largest urban center in the Kilifi County. With a proper highway and a domestic airport serving the needs of the people, commuting is fairly easy here. And if you plan on staying here for a longer period or for a couple of years, it helps to have your own vehicle with you when you move.
Estimate on Auto Shipment
If you want to send your vehicle over to Kenya, you will need to learn the rules and regulations for importing a vehicle. The cost of importing from the United States will start at $4000 and can go as high as $7200. There are many factors that will play a role in the final cost of importing, availability of transport carriers, and current cost of fuel, type of vehicle, shipping method, and more. If you want to stay in Kenya on a permanent basis or if you plan on attending school, this price is going to be worth it in the long run, giving you the freedom to do what you want, when you want. The roads in Kenya are paved as well as unpaved.
Requirements for Importing Your Vehicle
The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) determines the prices to charge for taxes and duties based on the model of the vehicle and when it was registered. No vehicle can be imported to Kenya, if it is more than eight years old.
The larger the engine, the more you will pay in duty. Another tax you will need to pay is the excise duty. If the vehicle is under three years of age, you will be charged approximately Ksh 150,000. If the vehicle is more than three years, it will be charged Ksh 200,000. All imports are charged a Value Added Tax, or VAT at 16%. Licensing your vehicle is also an expense that must be figured in. The average CIF of a vehicle is 25%. This charge has nothing to do with customs duties.
Tax Exemptions for Returning Citizens
If you have been living abroad for more than a year you can bring one vehicle back without being charged duty and taxes when you return, with the exception of mini buses and regular sized buses. There are rules that must be adhered to. These rules are:
- You must be at least 18 to import a vehicle
- The vehicle you are importing cannot be more than eight years old
- You must not have requested an exemption prior to this import request
- You must have been living outside of Kenya for a minimum of two years
- You must be requesting import on your own vehicle
- You must show proof that the vehicle has been yours for a minimum of 12 months
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Preparing Your Vehicle for Shipment
Your vehicle will need to be prepared prior to shipping it. Hiring A-1 Auto Transport Service is the best solution to this. Your shipping agent will know what is required, what to expect, and how to prepare your vehicle so there are no delays once the process begins. When shipping a vehicle, it is important that you find and submit a copy of the following documents along with your request:
- Proof of your residency in Kenya
- Proof of your auto insurance
- Any invoice that states you have paid duties
- Title to your vehicle
- Registration of your vehicle
The vehicle owner will need to be present to pick up the vehicle at the port in Kenya. You can choose from any of these three ports: Port of Lamu, Port of Mombasa, and Port of Malindi.
Methods of Vehicle Shipment to Kenya
Roll On/ Roll Off shipping and container are the most efficient way to ship your vehicle across waters. Both have their good points and bad so you must decide which method would work best for you based on your needs. The Roll On/ Roll Off shipping method is accepted at all three ports. It is the most affordable way to ship a vehicle. If you choose this method, your vehicle will need to be completely empty with only the spare tire, the car jack, and the floor mats inside. Your vehicle be driven by its own power onto the deck of a carrier ship and harnessed down in a bay for transport.
Container shipping method is a little more expensive but you can cut your cost by sharing the container with someone else. With this method, you can load your vehicle and all your household goods inside the 20 feet or 40 feet container before it is sealed. The vehicle will be safely protected during shipment. The regulations dealing with vehicle import keeps changing, it is best to contact the Embassy of Kenya to know more about it.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory