Ship Car To Lyon
Importing a Vehicle from the United States to Lyon, France
When making plans to ship a vehicle to Lyon, France from the United States there are certain specifications and paperwork that must be taken care in order to ship the vehicle internationally. Before you have your vehicle shipped to Lyon, it is advisable to learn the traffic laws of the area in order to better adapt to driving while in the city. You can take a look at some of the basic traffic laws by reading this article. Your shipping agent will be able to explain the necessary paperwork and any vehicle modifications that may need to be done to your car prior to shipping to Lyon based on engine requirements that may be applicable to your vehicle. Typically you will need to provide a driver’s license, social security number, vehicle title, and auto insurance to the transport company. If you are able to drive your vehicle to the Shipping Port for exportation that will be great and will also save you the expense of having it transported by the shipping company or other sources. You may also contact U.S. Customs to gain further information on export laws in the United States when preparing to ship a vehicle overseas.
Plan Ahead of Time
You definitely don’t want to wait until the last minute to start planning to have your vehicle shipped to Lyon. You need to make sure that you have taken care of all necessary paperwork that will be required by the Customs agent when you reach the entry port you’re using to ship your vehicle to Lyon. You may want to note that when shipping a vehicle to Lyon, it will usually take anywhere from 20 to 40 days to reach the port in Lyon from the United States so planning in advance will definitely save you extra waiting time when you need your vehicle. Customs in Lyon will require the following paperwork when importing a vehicle from the United States:
- Identification Card (Proof of Identity)
- Proof of Residence
- Copy of Vehicle Registration
- Vehicle Conformity Certificate
- Original Bill of Sale
- French Control Certificate if the vehicle is older than four years old. Vehicle must be within 6 months of four years if over four years
Once your vehicle has cleared the Customs check, you will have four months to register your vehicle in France and obtain French Domestic License Plates. You can find more information on vehicle importation regulations by visiting the Embassy of France website.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Best Way to Ship a Vehicle to Lyon
Given the fact that there are numerous sea ports close to Lyon, shipping by sea is the best way to have your vehicle shipped. The following are the two forms of overseas shipping that are most widely used and recommended:
- Ro-Ro Shipping– Ro-Ro Shipping is a type of international freight shipping that allows cars to be driven directly onto the carrier ship at the port of entry and driven off at the exit port. With Ro-Ro Shipping your car will be secured right on the deck of the ship for easy transport. Ro-Ro Shipping is the easiest and least expensive way to ship a car overseas
- Container Shipping– Container shipping is a very affable way to ship a car when you may want to ship personal items along with your car. You will have a choice of a 20 foot or a 40-foot container. Usually, if you only have one car, you will only need a 20-foot container. Containers are loaded aboard a cargo ship for the trip overseas and you will need to either pick the car up at the port or make arrangements with your shipper to have the car picked up and delivered when it arrives at the port of entry to Lyon. Container Shipping is a bit more expensive than Ro-Ro Shipping but is a great way to ship if you have other items to ship with the car.