The capital of Malawi, Lilongwe, is the largest city in the country. It is located close to Zambia and Mozambique borders. An important transportation and economic hub, the city is named after a river by the same name. In case you are visiting Lilongwe for extended time length or relocating here permanently, having your own personal vehicle makes sense. This allows you greater freedom and control as you will be able to travel faster to your desired destination. Due to wide connection of roadways and border sharing with other countries, local travel is quite simple.
What is more, here you will find many paved roads as well. So, with a personal vehicle, you can be on your own and go wherever required. Nevertheless, those who have experience in traveling along US roads should take care when driving on unpaved roads at Malawi. The government here is continuously trying to improve road conditions. So, if you are thinking about importing your vehicle, you may go ahead. Traveling along the highway allows you to visit neighboring countries with ease.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click Here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Requirements for shipping your car to Malawi.
By working with one of the leading international auto shipping services such as A1 Auto Transport service, we take away the hassle of getting permits and clearing customs at the US port and at Lilongwe. With us, importing your car from US to Malawi does not involve much documentation and restriction, so we can do it easily. Some of the documents and requirements that are needed include:
- Have the ownership of vehicle for minimum of 1 year.
- Families can own only one vehicle.
- Produce ownership proof, purchase proof of vehicle, and registration certificate.
- Vehicle value cannot exceed K500, or 500 kwacha in Malawi currency.
Shipping cars to Lilongwe is quite easy. All you need is the right transport partner to make it happen and that is where we step in. Owner will require agents for vehicle delivery. Otherwise, someone will have to be present to receive the car once it arrives at port. You can authorize us to take delivery, if needed.
Different kind of shipping options.
People can choose any one of the two most popular options for importing vehicles in Lilongwe, Malawi. These are:
- Container Shipping: By this shipping method, you can transport your belongings along with vehicle in an enclosed 20 or 40 feet container. The different-sized options are available, so you can take your pick based upon your budget and requirements.
- RO/RO Shipping: This is roll on/roll-off method where only the vehicle, stripped of all accessories is driven on a ship and secured. It is driven off at the port of delivery. You will need to adhere to removal of air conditioning gas, all car accessories as only spare tire, mats and jack are allowed within the car. To ensure speedy delivery, steam clean your car before shipping the car.
It is good to have all information about importing cars to Malawi and get the latest rules and regulation by browsing Embassy of Malawi.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.