Liege is one of the major cities as well as a municipality in Belgium. It is the main city of the Liege province. It has its location in the valley of the River Meuse in the eastern parts of Belgium.
In fact, it’s rather close to the borders with Germany and Netherlands. In the city, the Meuse River meets Ourthe River, which is pretty fascinating.
If you decide to relocate to the city, having your own vehicle with you is always going to be highly advantageous. In any case, importing from the USA is less regulated than doing so form the EU because there are common fair trade agreements within the Union. It is best to contact the Embassy of Belgium to get further details about the latest laws.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Importing a Car from the USA.
Belgium is known for having rather stringent regulations when it comes to importing a vehicle from a non-EU country. However, it’s most certainly possible to do so but you’d have to go through extensive processes and get environmental clearances which are going to take you a while. Firstly, if you are importing your car as a part of the moving process it’s going to be considered as if it’s a household good and you might be able to spare the VAT. However, you can only claim that when you have:
- Lived outside of the country for at least a year before that.
- The car has been bought in the US and it has been used for at least 6 months prior the import.
- You have paid the VAT prior to importing to Belgium.
- You intend to keep the car for at least a year after the import.
Specific laws regulating auto import.
There are quite a few conditions that you would need to adhere to, if you want to get the VAT exemption. It’s important that you partner up with a professional and experienced shipping agency such as the A1 Auto Transport service and get in touch with the Embassy of Belgium for further details. There are also quite a few documents that you’d have to submit, including:
- Purchase bill.
- Title deed.
- VAT proof of payment.
- Letter of exemption.
- Passport of the owner.
- Bill of lading.
- Residency proof outside of the EU.
If your vehicle fails to meet the exemption requirements you are going to have to pay the requisite taxes, VAT, levies and custom duties based on the current market value of your vehicle. After the vehicle has been cleared by the Belgium Customs Authority you would have to register it locally.
You also have two shipping methods available for your – RORO and Container shipping. The first one requires you to drive your vehicle on its own wheels on a shipping deck at the freight ship. The car is going to be exposed and you have to empty it out and leave nothing but the car jack, floor mats, spare tire and a spare set of keys. However, that’s the fastest and cheapest water-based method. Container shipping, on the other hand, is slower and more expensive but it provides unmatched protection for your vehicle.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?