The oldest community n Port of Spain in Trinidad, Laventille is a small city that is largely residential. Though the roadways are aplenty but most of them are unpaved and not maintained properly.
Thus, if you are planning to import your vehicle consider the maintenance costs.
If you are a resident of Trinidad, or if you are visiting and you want to import or export a vehicle, you will need to know the process that must be followed through in order to successfully handle your vehicle. You will need to submit an application that includes all the documentation needed in order to meet the qualifications. There are fewer documents required if you are currently or have been a resident in the past. Here is a list of documentations to bring with you to apply:
- Customs Bond.
- Cash Deposit.
- Importing License.
- Proof of residence oversees.
- Work permit for non-residents.
- Proof of ownership if shipping a vehicle.
It’s mandatory that these documents be shown to the Customs and Excise Department of the Government of Trinidad in order to ship all of your possessions, not just automobiles.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Minimum of Six Months Ownership of Car/Auto.
In order to ship a vehicle, you will need to be the owner of your vehicle for at least six months and show proof of it. All application fees, such as duty, miscellaneous tax, and VAT must be paid in full and you must be present when your shipment arrives. You are legally bonded to accept ownership of your vehicle for the first two years after relocating to Trinidad. You are not allowed to sell your vehicle for the first two years. If you are a return citizen of Trinidad, you must have lived overseas a minimum of five years.
In order to ship your vehicle from the United States to Trinidad, you will need to bring the following documents with you:
- Proof of Insurance.
- Driver’s License.
- Bill of Sale or Invoice.
- Title Deed.
- Certificate of Standard custom clearance.
Key considerations of auto import.
If you are shipping your possessions to Trinidad, including any SUV’s, vans, motorcycles, and vehicles, there are contingencies that you must agree to:
- Your car must show up in Trinidad within two months of your arrival.
- All shipments will be inspected at the container examination station and documented as cleared for entrance into Trinidad.
- All taxes and duties must be paid up according to citizenship status.
- Owner of the vehicle must be present during the time that the vehicle is picked up.
You should know that the process including the paperwork can take a while to complete. If you plan to move to Trinidad then you need to apply as soon as you can and before your move. This will make sure that you are not waiting a while to receive your shipment once you have arrived. Keep in mind that there is a time limit on when you can ship items after you have moved to the country. If you have queries, the Embassy of Trinidad and Tobago can help.
There are two shipping methods that you can choose from. One is the Roll On/Roll-Off method. The second method is the shipping container. The Roll On/Roll Off method is the more affordable method to ship your vehicle. It does leave your vehicle exposed to the weather elements during transit because your vehicle is parked on the ships’ deck. If you choose a shipping container, your vehicle is located inside a 20×40 foot container and has higher safety measures taken to keep it; however, it is the more expensive.
If the time has passed that you are allowed to import your vehicles to Trinidad, you may be allowed to do so but with stricter terms and conditions as well as other fees and taxes that would need to be paid. You can save yourself money if you start the shipping process as soon as you know you are moving. It will speed up the entire process so you can get your belongings quickly.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?