Lae is one of the largest cities in Papua New Guinea and is located on the delta of Rover Markham and on the trade routes between coast and Highlands. It is the biggest cargo port and is known as the industrial hub of the nation. If you are moving for a few months or a few years, it will be a help to have your own vehicle to drive around in the city.
However, it is important that the imports meet the government laws and regulations and to do that professional assistance of trusted international shipping service will be required. And at A1 Auto Transport service, we are happy to assist you with all your shipping requirements to Papua New Guinea. As an independent island nation of Oceania, there are ecological and motor vehicle regulations to adhere to when you shipping to Lae. However due to tropical weather conditions of strong winds, excessive rainfall and humidity can make maintaining the vehicle more difficult.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Exemptions on custom duties.
There is a provision of importing your vehicle import duty-free by Papua New Guinea Customs Department, if you meet the following requirements.
- You intend staying in Lae for over 12 months from the date of arrival.
- You owned and used the vehicle in USA for over a year before coming to Lae or any city in Papua New Guinea.
- Produce proof by submitting ownership documents.
- Inspections can collaborate that it is a used vehicle and has cleared roadworthiness tests.
Irrespective of whether you are on a residence permit or a work visa, the fact is that there are associated documents that have to be submitted:
- registration certificate.
- invoice/proper purchase receipt.
- insurance certificate.
- Title deed.
- Driving license.
Associated cost of shipping.
You need to know about the associated costs of shipping your vehicle to Papua New Guinea. Apart from the insurance and freight charges, you are required to pay import duties which depend upon the size of the engine. They range from 40% to 110% while there is an additional 10% GST when the custom clearances are given. Additionally, you can build in the cost of port handling fees, car safety inspection and licensing fee which can enhance the cost of imported vehicles.
Methods of Shipping to Lae, Papua New Guinea.
With plenty of ports available, shipping vehicles is easy. However, you will need to choose a method from RORO or Container shipping. That would fix the price. Shipping by RORO is cheaper but takes more time. You are not allowed to keep any accessories or personal belongings in the car. While container shipping is protected transit as the car and other goods are sealed inside 20 ft. or 40 feet containers and shipped.
To get the latest updates on the procedures, regulations and laws pertaining to import of vehicles, contact the Embassy of Papua New Guinea in USA.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?