Moving to La Romana in the Dominican Republic can be an exciting as well as stressful time of transition. With a city that has an almost 0% unemployment rate, La Romana is a desired city to relocate to. Since the mid 1990’s, the economy of the area has soured due to the Central Romana Corporation as well as many small businesses and new infrastructure. Relocating, whether it’s a local move or across the world, can be very daunting to undertake. When you need to have your motor vehicle shipped you need to hire a professional auto transport company to handle the stress of relocation for you. A1 Auto Transport works very hard to ensure safe and quick international transport for all motor vehicles that are shipped. When you need your car shipped to La Romana you can rest assured that it will be in safe hands the entire way.
Professional Automobile Transport.
It would be convenient if a car could be driven to any location in the world but when shipping internationally you must adhere to strict guidelines set forth by United States Customs as well as regulations for import in countries throughout the world. A1 Auto Transport representatives will work with you to make sure all important information regarding your automobile are clear in order to provide you with an accurate price quote for shipping your car overseas. Damage insurance coverage during transport is provided and you will be detailed on the amount of coverage available. Our representatives will be able to assist you with gathering all necessary information for customs in La Romana as well as let you know what fees, taxes and import duties you will need to pay upon the checkpoint at customs. You will need to provide some paperwork when scheduling your motor vehicle for international shipping. Paperwork includes:
- Driver’s License.
- Social Security Card.
- Signed Power of Attorney Statement giving permission for transport.
Your customer service representative will go over all of the required paperwork and the price of shipping with you. Total shipping cost will vary based on the type of car you have, the weight of the vehicle and the distance from port to port as well as the type of transport you will be using.
Methods of International Shipping.
When you need to have a motor vehicle shipped internationally to La Romana you will need to decide what type of overseas transport you will use. The total price to ship your car will be priced accordingly and will include the method of shipping you will use. For transport to La Romana you can use the following shipping methods:
- RORO- The most common type of international shipping available is RORO. Also known as roll-on roll off or open shipping, this method is easily accessed and used daily for millions of motor vehicles worldwide. Cars of all types are driven onto the carrier and securely strapped in place and then transported overseas. Once the car arrives at the port to La Romana it is easily driven off the ship and can be taken to the customs checkpoint quickly.RORO is the least expensive and fastest way to have a motor vehicle shipped overseas.
- Enclosed Shipping- Enclosed or container shipping provides a more secure way to ship a car internationally. Owners of classic and collectors cars use enclosed shipping to help make sure their automobiles are not susceptible to weather and sea water that they would be exposed to when using open transport like RORO shipping. Enclosed shipping has a higher price to ship than open carriers do because of the expense of the container for shipment, but if you are a classic owner or have a collectible motor vehicle, enclosed shipping is the best way to ship and will provide a more secure route of travel for your investment.
Before your automobile is shipped you will need to prepare it for travel. Your representative will give you details of what must be done prior to shipping to have your car ready. Some basic pointers to go by are to have your car empty and well cleaned. Check your fluid levels and your battery charge to make sure the car will be ready to drive when it arrives in La Romana, and disable any theft alarms to prevent them from being set off during transport.
Important Customs Information.
Customs regulations are mandatory regulations that must be adhered to closely to ensure that your motor vehicle is accepted into the country. The Dominican Republic has set forth many rules to follow and here are just a few of them:
- Only one personal vehicle per person may be imported.
- No cars with more than six cylinders are allowed for import.
- Owner must own the vehicle for at least one year prior to importation.
- No luxury cars are allowed to be imported.
- Import duties and taxes must be paid on all imports.
- Vehicle owner must be physically present for customs inspection.
You will also be required to provide customs agents with the following paperwork:
- Motor Vehicle Title and Registration.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Original Bill of Sale/Commercial Invoice.
- Consular Invoice stamped by the Dominican Republic Consular.
For further information on paperwork that you will need to show to customs agents, you can contact the Embassy of the Dominican Republic and they can provide that information. They can also give you information on local ordinances and on personal items that are allowed to be brought into the city. If you would like information on overseas shipping you can check with the Federal Maritime Commission on standards for shipping, types of vessels used and time frames for travel overseas.
For all other information, your auto transport customer service representative will be able to provide you with all that is necessary for shipping your automobile to La Romana.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.