Each year, more than 500,000 people visit the beautiful city of La Ceiba on the northern coast of Honduras. Several thousand U.S. citizens temporarily or permanently relocate to the coastal town every year. While it may be one of the wettest cities in Honduras, it is also one of the most economically productive as well as eloquently scenic cities as well. La Ceiba is well known as the tourist capital of Honduras and has been very successful in bringing new business from around the world to the city annually. There are public buses as well as a large taxi system in La Ceiba, but that can be quite expensive when living in the city and having to hire a taxi daily for work, school or personal outings. The best thing to do is have your own personal car transported to the coastal city to be able to not only travel easily but to also be able to save money by not having the added expense of a daily taxi or public bus for transportation.
Auto Transport Services.
Relocating a motor vehicle has never been simpler than it is today. A professional auto transport service can easily handle all of your auto shipping needs and help your move be stress free when making plans to have your car with you in La Ceiba. The company will have a representative working with you to make sure you are given all of the necessary information on shipping methods, shipping fees, customs regulations for the United States as well as La Ceiba, and paperwork you will need to fill out or provide. They will also explain the insurance coverage and how door to door pick-up and delivery works when shipping a car to Honduras. The agent will request that you provide some basic paperwork that will include:
- Driver’s License.
- Social Security Card.
- Power of Attorney form (signed).
They will also explain the various modes of transport available to relocate your car. These types of transport include:
- Open Transport (RORO) - Open transport is the way that most automobiles are transported whether they are being moved locally, coast to coast or overseas. Also known as RORO transport this method allows a car to be driven onto a carrier, whether truck, boat or plane, and then secured in place for transport. RORO transport is an excellent choice for shipping the car or truck that you typically drive every day. RORO is an inexpensive way to have a car shipped as well as being one of the fastest types of transport locally or internationally. For simple and quick delivery service, RORO is the way to go.
- Enclosed Transport- When you have a luxury, classic or collector’s car you will most likely want to utilize enclosed transportation for your car. Enclosed carriers offer extra security and stability during shipment that assists with cutting out the risk of damage to the car that can be obtained during open transport from flying debris, animals and even severe weather while shipping. Enclosed transport will cost a little more than open transport, but for the added insurance of secure travel for your automobile, it is well worth the extra fee for the container used to carry the motor vehicle.
Your agent will walk you through each detail of your contract once you determine the type of shipping you will use for your auto transport. Your final quote will usually include the method of transport, shipping fees and details on your scheduled date of pick-up and delivery. If you have a classic or luxury car you may want to check the amount of insurance coverage provided to ensure that it covers the total value of your car. If not, you will need to speak to your private insurance company for extra coverage during transport if needed.
Customs regulations for La Ceiba, Honduras are not as strict as in some countries. Honduras has a free trade agreement with the United States, thus making importing your car to the city quite simple as long as you follow the laws. You may import new or used cars as long as the car is within seven years of the manufacture date at the time of importation. You will need to have documents ready for officials prior to bringing your car to the city. These documents include:
- National Taxation Registry Number.
- Automobile Title.
- Bill of Lading from the Shipping Company.
You can check with U.S. Customs for detailed information on regulations worldwide as well as for possible travel advisories and laws pertaining to La Ceiba. Another great place to check for shipping regulations if shipping by sea instead of land transport is with the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC). The FMC has valuable information on their website pertaining to international overseas shipping for automobiles and other personal items.
For further information your professional automobile transport agent will be your go to source for expert knowledge on all that you need to know about having your motor vehicle shipped to La Ceiba or to any other destination that you may need to ship to around the globe.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.